Backup drive without windows?

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by i3one21, Oct 27, 2010.

1. i3one21

i3one21 MDL Novice

Feb 25, 2010
    Is there a program I can use to make a copy of the hard drive without booting into windows and burning the image to dvd?

2. i3one21

i3one21 MDL Novice

Feb 25, 2010
    A program that will install on RAM and run to do the backup would work.

Is there a program that will run on the windows environment without installing to do the backup?

The problem I am trying to get around is I do not have admin rights and want to format the hard drive, but in the future I want to restore it to the original state. Any ideas?

3. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    Acronis trueimage boot disk will do it. if you don't have admin right should you even be touching the machine without permission ?

4. i3one21

i3one21 MDL Novice

Feb 25, 2010
    Probably not, but that is the whole reason for looking for alternative ways to backup the hard drive. Then I can install my own version of windows and then in the future restore the current operating system.

Don't try to play good cop now, especially on these forums. Give me ideas, and I will be greatly appreciative.

5. Reign_Of_Freedom

Reign_Of_Freedom MDL Expert

Aug 1, 2009
    They have given you suggestions, what more do you want?

6. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    It's not a case of good cop, what will happen if restore fails it can happen i,e, duff DVD and you have scrubbed the hard drive. If you want more ideas try google.

7. acyuta

acyuta MDL Expert

Mar 8, 2010
    Try boot disk of acronis, paragon, norton ghost, and paragon. Use them all the time to back up c: without installing.
    They are available on the net.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. ctyinglee

ctyinglee MDL Novice

Sep 1, 2010
    easus disk copy

you probably don't need this anymore but easeus disc copy allows you to create a bootable cd where it will take you into its own os to do a bit by bit copy