Backup Live Linux System

Discussion in 'Linux' started by JBenal, Mar 10, 2016.

1. JBenal

JBenal MDL Senior Member

Nov 2, 2009
    I've been around computers my entire life. Recently I'm using Linux more than Windows. For my Windows boxes I use Macrium Reflect to backup a live running system. It can be restored to a fully running system exactly as it was when the backup image was created.

I've been looking for a Linux backup program that works the same as Macrium - I want to image the system while it's running. Everything I've read says that it's not possible to backup a mounted/running file system. I've seen some postings where people suggest using tar or other suggestions to save a list of all installed software, then do a clean install and use the list to re-install all your software.

Is anyone aware of a program like Macrium that will produce a usable image of a running system?

PS. I'm using Linux Mint 17.3, so Debian/Ubuntu software is what I'm looking for.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Mutoid

Mutoid MDL Member

Sep 23, 2015
    #2 Mutoid, Mar 13, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2016
    @JBenal

This topic is already covered here

.... just scroll down this forum a little !

:biggrin:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. JBenal

JBenal MDL Senior Member

Nov 2, 2009
    Ooops. I must really be going senile. :eek:

Thanks!