Backup Phoenix Bios without new Bios file

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by APEXi, Feb 28, 2009.

1. APEXi

APEXi MDL Novice

Jul 2, 2008
    #1 APEXi, Feb 28, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2009
    i need some help to backup an phoenix bios.
    i tried to backup the bios from my averatec 2700 notebook with winphlash and phlash16 but it didn't work without a new bios file.
    i tried it with defferent acer bios files but the backup files always have the same size like the acer bios files.
    is there a way to backp the bios without a new file?

btw is it possible to replace the averatrec slic with asus?

2. APEXi

APEXi MDL Novice

Jul 2, 2008
    ok, new concept :D

is it possible to activate vista when i install the asus ultimate oem slp key and after this i import the averatec cert from vista home premium?
    an averatec slic table is allredy present at the bios.

thx

3. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    #3 urie, Mar 8, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2017
  4. APEXi

APEXi MDL Novice

Jul 2, 2008
    nice, that works like a charm :)

i've installed vista ultimate, applied the vista ultimate oem slp key and after that i imported the trigem (averatec) cert which i've previously exported from preinstalled vista home premium tokens.dat file.

5. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    Glad to help now get building your Vista OEM DVD's:D

6. dummekuehe

dummekuehe MDL Senior Member

Jan 11, 2009
    hi, i read you first post of this thread
    i'm thinking about backing up my bios because sony doesnt provide any bios updates. i also backuped my bios with winphlash by using different wph files and the backuped bios always had the same size as the bios.wph i used. so i'm afraid that using one of these backups to flash my bios will kill my notebook.

7. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    At Phoenix it's odd.
    The winphlash tool backups the same size as your provided dummy bios is like.
    This would be no problem, you could use a large (2Mbyte) dummy file to dump 2Mybte of your current bios. You could examine it using a hexeditor and cut if it would be to large....

The problem:

Phoenix bioses have got platform data. This is additional data that is appended after the bios data file itself.
    If you download a bios update you'll get that data.
    When you save your bios, you don't get that data. You don't get that data, because it will not be flashed onto the EEPROM chip during a bios flash.
    That platform data is needed to instruct the flashtool to update the bios.

In short for PHOENIX, no platform data (bios file for update from your OEM vendor), no way to flash it using phoenix flashtools. Only way is to use a compatible EEPROM flash device to program the bios chip

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. dpain1

dpain1 MDL Novice

Oct 26, 2007
    Hello Yen,

Then is there a way for someone to MOD a laptop phoenix BIOS that the manufacture does not provide a BIOS update to? I have a Sony FZ240E and a Gateway T-6345U that do not have BIOS updates that I can find anywhere. It seems there are never BIOS updates for Phoenix's. What up with that? Any Ideas? I would like to mod them to the SLIC 2.1 of course, cause they are allready Slic 2.0 set. Thanks Yen,

dpain1