Backup Question

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by kritic, Apr 13, 2010.

1. kritic

kritic MDL Novice

Aug 21, 2009
    I have a question about backups. I made a system image backup of my win 7 OS. I use no loaders or anything on this machine, it's a legit OEM license.What I am wondering about though is I installed Ubuntu on a second partition and dual boot via grub. If I ever have to use this system image will it boot with grub in the MBR? Trying to save myself some headaches if I ever do have to use this backup. Thanks

2. iamanoob

iamanoob MDL Senior Member

Feb 28, 2010
  3. kritic

kritic MDL Novice

Aug 21, 2009
    It was a system image made with windows backup. Pretty sure the Ubuntu partition was not imaged because windows can't read it but maybe so.If anyone knows for sure let me know. thanks

4. Rosco

Rosco MDL Addicted

Oct 29, 2007
    #4 Rosco, Apr 14, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2010
    Depends on what Windows backup does with the MBR - other backup programs like Acronis let you choose to backup the MBR or not - same for restore.

I reckon Windows will back it up and restore it and thus your GRUB loader is confined to the dustbin and your system will boot only Windows.

So - why not simply create a new backup with the MBR as it is - I assume Windows backup will simply do a byte for byte copy and the MBR should restore as it was when backed up.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...