Backup whole windows 8 ?

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by jazzar, Aug 20, 2012.

1. jazzar

jazzar MDL Junior Member

Aug 11, 2012
    hey all,

I would like to backup my whole windows image if any problems might occur in the future just to be in the safe side.

So please post your findings which software is the best to do the job.

Regards.

2. 5856898

5856898 MDL Junior Member

Aug 18, 2012
    You can use imagex to capture the your system under WINPE.

Also, you can use recimg.exe to create a custom recovery image. If your system encounter an error, you can do a quick recovery(Refresh PC or Reset PC).

3. CuteBirdy

CuteBirdy MDL Junior Member

Aug 17, 2012
    What about using the "Windows 7 File Recovery" software (type it in your start screen to find it under "Settings") to make an image?

And can someone explain simply what "Recimg.exe" does? It sounds complicated.

4. Stannieman

Stannieman MDL Guru

Sep 4, 2009
    Run rcimg in cmd and it explains itself.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. jazzar

jazzar MDL Junior Member

Aug 11, 2012
    what about "Paragon Image Backup for Windows 8" ?

6. CuteBirdy

Aug 17, 2012
    That recimg thing talks about backing up "windows apps", that means only the metro app stuff right, not all your programs installed under desktop?

7. CuteBirdy

Aug 17, 2012
    Why use a 3rd party imaging software, when there is already a native one built into Windows 8 called Windows 7 File Recovery?

8. jazzar

jazzar MDL Junior Member

Aug 11, 2012
    No real cause just a preference over windows apps. Even i use uninstaller 3rd party apps to make sure they are really uninstalled and no trace leftover.

9. 5856898

5856898 MDL Junior Member

Aug 18, 2012
    The recimg.exe command line tool lets you configure a custom recovery image for Windows to use when you refresh your PC.

For more details, you can type recimg.exe /help in command prompt.

10. CuteBirdy

Aug 17, 2012
    It's not guaranteed to uninstall everything, I remember trying RevoUninstall last time, and it didn't work properly for some software. The best way to leave no trace, is to make images of your OS drive regularly, and restore the image!

11. CuteBirdy

Aug 17, 2012
    Is recimg better than Windows 7 File Recovery image?

12. Boyfriend

Boyfriend MDL Senior Member

Feb 10, 2010
    In that case, I will recommend Active@ Boot Disk. Install it and make a bootable USB/CD. It offers you plenty of features, you can imagine only. I am using it for last two years with no problem at all. Multiple backups and perfect restore :plane:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  13. roirraW "edor" ehT

roirraW "edor" ehT MDL Addicted

Sep 1, 2007