Bad car accident. Is driving in high stilettos safe

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by IntelligenceArtifi, Sep 27, 2011.

So I went to buy my first car the other day, a 99 Toyota Corolla. As I pulled out of the ex owner's driveway onto the street my stiletto shoe got wedged in the carpet and I couldn't brake fast enough (I braked after crashing); I slammed into a bus in front of me.

The old owner had put in a wool type floor-mat which was absolutely unsafe for driving. He, the bus driver and a policeman were ranting on and on about how it was my fault driving with stilettos and not a floor mat issue!

I tend to get into a lot of accidents actually, around 2-5 monthly and I do have certain troubles driving. This is my fourth accident with insurance claim and my second because of driving in high heels.

Problems I have

Parallel parking - The car never does what I want it to do and I keep banging something. Many times I've scraped the other vehicle and had to flee out of the spot.

Pedals - Major problem here. I have a habit of retracting my shoe away from the pedal and when I need it again I miss the pedal many times. Unlike most drivers I have got the habit of using any foot on any pedal. Many times I also hit gas instead of brake and vice versa and this has led to accidents. Also when I do get the pedal, my shoe gets it in such a way that it is hard to press sometimes or slippery.

Oh my! my insurance rates are bound to go sky high. The car is totaled and the bus suffered engine damage.

According to me I must solve my pedal problem and high heels is not a big concern. I can continue driving in them. The first accident because of them I agree they were the cause (they were 7 inch heels). I feel I can safely continue with 5 inch.

Normally I drive in the shoe attached. 5-inch-stiletto-heel-front-lacing-ankle-high-sandals~t_7022208.jpg

People tell me this shoe is unsafe even though it is only 5 inches.:eek:

1. x86

x86 MDL Addicted

Jul 8, 2011
    #2 x86, Sep 27, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2011
    First things first - I am not trying to blame you here - so please take my advice kindly ;)

You need to change your perception about a few things relating to driving a car. As awkward as it may sound to you, driving in high heels will always involve a certain degree of risk all by itself (and regardless how skilled driver you are)

Regarding parking - it's all about practise. As a novice driver you should pick more spacious slots to park, rather than trying to squeeze in between others and bumping into them. You will gain experience & confidence over the time and eventually you should be good in fitting the car into tighter slots :)

Pedals - wear something comfy. It doesn't necessarily has to be something like that - but don't take it to the other extreme by wearing high heels. You could even have a pair of trainers always in the boot of the car and switch to those just for the driving bit. IMO it's even sexy watching a girl changing shoes whilst sitting in the driver's sit. So it's a win-win situation for everyone there :p

You simply can't, trust me on that; not even Michael could claim something like that (even if he was to drive in high heels) :D

Insurance - well, no surprise there o_O

By following these simple steps, you can considerably improve your 'relation' with your car almost instantly ;)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. dareckibmw

dareckibmw MDL Expert

Jun 16, 2009
    Please tell this is a joke, right? :D

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Unfortunately it is not. I would prefer advice rather than such remarks.

4. evlad

evlad MDL Member

May 23, 2011
    #5 evlad, Sep 27, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2011
    you must take decision:
    pretty look or safety driving, you can't have both.
    thanks God you don't have broken bones or something worse.
    If you need pretty look, use cab or find someone who drives you ...

5. My accidents are more because of my pedal problems than the shoes. The shoes are safe with a proper floormat.

6. Chris123NT

Chris123NT MDL Expert

Oct 23, 2010
    This is your 2nd accident with high heels?

Ok let's try logic, stop driving with high heels.

It's not rocket science lol.

That accident cannot be blamed on the car, but your inability to make intelligent decisions about your footwear when you drive.

And uhh 2-5 accidents a month? Well let me tell you this before the insurance companies tell you to pound sand, but turn in your license and never drive again, you will be making the roads a safer place :p

7. When I say 2-5 accidents I am talking mainly small bumps on walls and such that do not involve the insurance. I've had only 4 insurance claims and only 2 of them were because of the shoes. Though the first time I agree it was dangerous because I was wearing 7 inch and I drove in a ditch. 5 inch is reasonable.

8. dareckibmw

dareckibmw MDL Expert

Jun 16, 2009
    We don't know how old are you and what experience behind the wheel you have... let's start with that.
    You definitely need a driving lessons, a lot! go to school or find a friend/family member who can teach you how to park, etc.

Lady - get rid of those high heels while driving, put em in a trunk !!! this is dangerous !!! think about other drivers life's on the road !!!

I'm not trying to be a smart ass but I am telling you from my experience - 24 years, last 12 driving a big rig....over 2.5 million miles all together.....trust me, I've seen a lot :p

Good luck to You and stay safe :drive1:

9. I have been driving for 14 months. I think I should be fine with the shoes nearly all my friends who are girls drive in heels and only 2 of them ever had an accident because of them.

10. dareckibmw

dareckibmw MDL Expert

Jun 16, 2009
    NO, you are NOT fine! don't you see that? c'mon

11. Chris123NT

Chris123NT MDL Expert

Oct 23, 2010
    She's a typical girl, doesn't see common sense even if it smacks her in the face :D

Seriously, ditch the heels and get driving lessons, and stop doing s**t just because your friends do it. If they want to be stupid, let them, you have a choice to be the smarter person.

12. Chris123NT

Chris123NT MDL Expert

Oct 23, 2010
    LOL! :worthy:

13. But it sure is UGLY

14. dareckibmw

dareckibmw MDL Expert

Jun 16, 2009
    but don't forget to buckle up first! :D

15. Chris123NT

Chris123NT MDL Expert

Oct 23, 2010
    TO the OP:

do you live in vegas? :p

16. x86

x86 MDL Addicted

Jul 8, 2011
    There's lot more to it. It seems that this is turning into a fetish :eek:
    I think I am going to ... :suicide:

17. Petronium

Petronium MDL Senior Member

Oct 1, 2009
    #18 Petronium, Sep 27, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    High-heeled to drive the car I do not advise - to choose footwear convenient (more safely) better.
    The British company Sheilas' Wheels has developed special footwear for women-drivers — «the Drajversky heel of Shejly» (Sheila Driving Heel) — which is instantly transformed from shoes on hairpins to the driver's shoes convenient for driving.
    [​IMG]
    For a safe parking it is possible to establish Parktroniс.

PARKTRONIС

:biggrin:

18. dareckibmw

dareckibmw MDL Expert

Jun 16, 2009
    You could wear them if they match you car :D

[​IMG]

ugly shoes above two