Bad electricity and UPS ..

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by Fly3, Mar 10, 2018.

1. Fly3

Fly3 MDL Junior Member

Oct 7, 2017
    #1 Fly3, Mar 10, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2018
    Hello friends
    I live in a third world country so electricity here is really sucks so sometimes I see the room lamp turned off then on again for just a second or less than a second and it happened before 3 times continuously i mean its just a 4 or 5 seconds between every power cut but my PC was still running without restarting or shut down.(HP compaq desktop)
    my question about UPS is can It operate in high temperature like 45 Celsius in summer for 10 hours without break ? and if so does it really serve in my condition ?
    and if I can't buy it now and using my PC without a UPS could this damage my PC ? and I wonder if my PC has been already damaged because of bad power as i mentioned above ?

Sorry if i'm not good at English, Have a good day.

2. dhjohns

dhjohns MDL Guru

Sep 5, 2013
    I would get a UPS as soon as you can.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. tonto11

tonto11 MDL Addicted

Jun 18, 2012
    #4 tonto11, Mar 11, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2018
    I too have lived where the quality of electricity supply was not great
    and worked for years as an electric utility engineer to make it better
    particularly near industrial plants
    Room lamps quickly turning off and on is called flicker, and is usually caused by a large electric motor starting nearby
    if you have a TV, the picture will collapse when the sweep oscillators stop, then the ladies all complain :eek:

Your PC will not be affected by this because the filter capacitors will smooth out these dips
    Longer term interruptions might lead to the computer stopping and rebooting after power returns. This is also not damaging, but it sure is annoying as you are trying to work
    This latter is the sort of interruption that a UPS is really good at preventing
    the question then becomes how long an interruption should the UPS be designed to withstand
    that can get expensive

If PC performance becomes annoying you might want to consider a laptop computer which has it's own built in power backup
    and also has a power supply that is capable of operating over a very large range of voltage thus isolating the laptop from any dips or longer term outage of the mains supply

...T

4. Fly3

Fly3 MDL Junior Member

Oct 7, 2017
    #5 Fly3, Mar 11, 2018
    (OP)
    This time its not the water pump motor and Laptop isn't an option to me because I'm using it all the day and for gaming too.
    In summer temperature here goes crazy hot and I using my PC most of the day so i'm not sure if a UPS will operate well.

I just wonder if I can safely using my PC with my great shiny electricity ? :confused: :D

5. dhjohns

dhjohns MDL Guru

Sep 5, 2013
    I am sure that is just a CYA (cover your äss) statement. None-the-less perhaps in the shade with a fan.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. tonto11

tonto11 MDL Addicted

Jun 18, 2012
    #7 tonto11, Mar 11, 2018
    Computers are very rugged bits of gear, they can stand flicker without any problem, and if it bad enough to cause reboots
    you would be complaining about that, so I think you're very safe with your "great shiny electricity".:D

BTW you might consider putting a program called hwinfo, or a similar one on your computer to inform you how hot it's cpu, hdd, memory etc is getting in the summer. so you can keep the fans and heat exchangers nice and clean
    https://forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/hot-laptop-question.76519/#post-1416933
    ...T

7. maddogster

maddogster MDL Senior Member

Mar 23, 2015
    UPS is always good but at a minimum you should have a decent surge protector; i have used APC ( now schneider ) surgearrest type protectors for couple of decades and never had a problem with power outages, surges, brownouts and fluctuations affecting my desktops, laptops, tv's, stereo systems, mobile devices; for me UPS never had a real impact unless i was home to do a timely shutdown as if you are away UPS only lasts so long depending on the equipment hooked up to it