bad flash

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by logicwatch, Jun 3, 2019.

1. logicwatch

logicwatch MDL Senior Member

Jan 26, 2011
    Hi
    desperate for some help please
    I flashed a MSI B75MA P45 motherboard today to see if it could resolvbe a cpu over heating issue I was having
    I flashed to the latest version
    unfortunately it seem to go ok but on reboot crashed and now all it will do is display black screen ( no beep )
    and fans turn
    after a few seconds it just reboots same issue
    I cannot enter bios no display
    I wondered if there was a way to reflash from cd rom a good bios back again or am in a no win situation here ?
    please if somebody in the know could help me save this PC !
    regards

2. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. logicwatch

Jan 26, 2011
    Hi thanks for the reply
    it is a ami bios however when follow instructions i get no boot from memory stick
    just black screen fans then reboots every few seconds

4. Redsetter

Redsetter MDL Novice

Aug 4, 2015
    Some boards do have a method of recovery,

h
    t
    t
    p
    s
    :
    /
    /
    service.msicomputer.
    com/msi_user/support/techfaqdetail.aspx?formid=3046

I've had problems here posting links but a repair looks possible.Join the above together.

Is the bios chip socketed? you can replace the chip easily purchased from Ebay exe if so a chip programmer is needed, some years ago I had this and used a then willem programmer,soldered a socket to the board pads and reflashed the bios.You could perhaps use a test clip in some circumstances with the chip in situ but clips are expensive.I haven't done this type of work for many years now.Chipquik is an option with a soldering iron.

The view is never flash a bios that doesn't need upgrading.Understand the task also the risks and options if there are problems.Its easly repairable and cheap with the right skills equipment.

5. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    #5 Yen, Jun 3, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2019
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. logicwatch

Jan 26, 2011
    Hi Yen
    Have just been trying a PS2 keyboard with CTRL + Home
    using fat 32 usb
    unfortunately the screen always stays black the fans all run after a few seconds it just reboots
    I suspect no boot from the usb is happening here ??
    Dam !!
    PC worked the CPU was just far too high in temperature
    I was hoping a bios update would cure it as something was so wrong
    I tried 2 x processors and with slight stress they both came in at 100 c after a few mins
    so hope a bios flash may resolve it
    turns out all I have is a brick
    very poor from MSI I did the flash as they stated with theit in built bios tool
    downloaded the latest rom from their website to a memory stick
    gutted cannot revive it !!!!!!!!!!

7. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    #7 Yen, Jun 3, 2019
    Your USB is 2.0 thumb drive since 3.x would not work?
    Your board isn't capable of FlashBACK+?
    The recovery name used there would be MSI.ROM

Just researched a bit more...Some others also tried it by using those names on CD...plugged into internal SATA chip-set (no third party ones) plugs.

8. logicwatch

Jan 26, 2011
    I am using the downloaded bios renamed to AMIBIOS.ROM
    I am using a usb 2 stick
    wondered if cd rom may work can give it a go ?

9. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    #9 Yen, Jun 3, 2019
    TBH there is a little chance only by using CD
    I'd retry USB first but using all the suggested names at once. All put on root directory. First without to press anything additionally.
    Also when trying CD. Use all names at root directory...

IF you original is
    E7798IMS.190
    Try also
    190.ROM
    E7798IMS.190.ROM
    SUPER.ROM
    AMIBOOT.ROM
    AMIBIOS.ROM
    MSI.ROM
    E7798IMS.ROM

10. logicwatch

Jan 26, 2011
    alas
    cd rom no go retried usb fat 32 all suggested file names as well
    just black screen fans move few seconds then PC reboots
    I think its a new motherboard
    Dam !

11. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
  12. pf100

pf100 Duct Tape Coder

Oct 22, 2010
    And this exact scenario is why I scream at the top of my lungs that Microsoft pushing bios updates with windows updates is a horrible idea.

13. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    IMHO it's the job of the mainboard OEM to release BIOS updates, not the OS maker. There are other OSes people do run, it's not win only. :)

I am getting always emotionally affected myself when somebody encounters a brick although using original files. Cannot get why they constantly can improve things, but cannot even manage to make BIOS updates being a safe procedure.

14. pf100

pf100 Duct Tape Coder

Oct 22, 2010
    It could be fixed if they would use a bios that contained multiple copies of backup bios images, similar to how some motherboards and video cards have two switchable bios chips, except just put it all in one chip. This would not be difficult or expensive. IF bios fails THEN use backup copy, and never allow the backup copy to be overwritten. I mean, seriously, they should put me in charge of that because it seems as if no one else cares. I cannot understand why the industry does nothing about this problem.

15. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    I assume they do that with intent. Some boards do not even offer a socket for potential and easy bioschip replacement.
    There should be a real basic ROM (the boot block) which ever allows to reflash any BIOS update

16. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    There was a trick for the soldered on bios chips, where you could get a good bios chip and place it on top of the chip with the bad flash while booting up the pc. Once you can get it to boot up you can re-flash the bad soldered chip again to get a working board

17. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    get ch341a cheap.. get the jspi (right next to sata bottom left port) pinouts and flash through there.
    the bios from the site is able to be used rename to .bin

what is the chip name ? winbond ?

18. pf100

pf100 Duct Tape Coder

Oct 22, 2010
    Good idea, but...