balloon popups

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by dAdE0H0, Aug 18, 2009.

1. dAdE0H0

dAdE0H0 MDL Novice

Jul 13, 2009
    Is there a regisitry entry I can make to get rid of balloon notifications?

2. greyaburton

greyaburton MDL Addicted

Mar 8, 2009
    no one has answered you yet, so ill take a stab at it.dont know of any registry tricks,but can set some options to turn off certain notifications.(not quite sure what balloons your getting but this might work)right click on the taskbar.click properties.click customize.will see a bunch of programs. on the right can select hide icon and notifications.also in control panel.select action centre.can find some options there also.hope this helps.have a good one.

3. pauldamo

pauldamo MDL Senior Member

Aug 3, 2009
    run regedit -current user - software - microsort - windows - explorer - advanced - modify value of -enable balloon tips to 0. modify value, show info tip to 0, i think that works after log off.

4. spacednow

spacednow MDL Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Doesn't work either, disabled action center, but balloons still rampant for hardware and driver changes, and misc programs

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. hdfreedom

hdfreedom MDL Novice

Jul 13, 2009
    As mentioned above by greyaburton, you can turn off notifications in "Notification Area Icons" section of the Control Panel. You have to turn them on/off individually for each program, and unfortunately, MS has only given options to "show icon and notification", "hide icon and notification" and "only show notification", but no option for "only show icon".

You can also turn off "show pop-up description for folder and desktop items" in Explorer/Tools/Folder Options/View.

Lastly, I think I saw a couple of settings in gpedit.msc for turning on/off notifications of types. You'll have to look through it to find as I've only briefly done so myself with 7. It's much more robust in 7 than in previous versions.

As for turning off Action Center, that won't turn off all notifications, only those associated with.

And lastly, not to sound like a prat, like I've seen some here do, Google really is your friend. To this point, I've not had one problem with finding answers to any of my questions about 7 yet. Everyone is asking questions about this new OS, so there's a plethora of info out there to find and use.

6. spacednow

spacednow MDL Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Thanx, tried google first :) Only answers that work in Vista and 7RC, but don't seem to work in the RTM. Maybe I should try rebooting instead of logging off and on after Registry change. I'll try the gpedit also, just hate using policies, would rather change reg manually:)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...