Bare Metal VHD Dual Boot Windows 7/8 Activation Options

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by HomerJay, Jan 1, 2013.

1. HomerJay

HomerJay MDL Novice

Sep 22, 2011
    Hi there,

I have been searching/browsing the site for a few hours now and can't seem to find a definitive answer to the available options for activating both OSES which both boot from bare metal VHD files.

Some Background:

PC - Toshiba Satellite L500 Notebook (Dual Core CPU, 4GB RAM, 300GB HDD)
    Single 300GB partition.
    NTFS Formatted

VHD 1 (Type Expandable) - Windows 7 - (Max Size) 150GB
    VHD 2 (Type Expandable) - Windows 8 - (Max Size) 150GB

Windows 7 Version - Ultimate x64 w/SP1 6.1.7601.17514

Windows 8 Version - Pro x64 6.2.9200.16384

Using some guides from this site I have successfully created the appropriate VHD files and installed both the OSES as listed above and I am able to select either one from the boot menu and they both work fine. So, as a result I have no base OS as such (If I was to boot up using a recovery disk my 300 Gb hard drive contains only 2 files, win7.vhd & win8.vhd)

The time has now come to "activate" both the OSES and I was seeking some advice as to the best solution. I am interested in trying DAZ's loader for Win7 but will that screw up the currently working bootloader/boot menu or has this already been successfully done. Then there is the Win8 solution and what to do there.

Any suggestions/advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.:tea:

2. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    Bios mod for 7 & KMS for 8.

3. HomerJay

HomerJay MDL Novice

Sep 22, 2011
    Thanks Tito, I have successfully activated and validated Windows 7 using this procedure:

Forums . mydigitallife . info/threads/24053-Windows7-Activation-on-SLIC-2-1-BIOS

Now for Windows 8.