Battery problem with Win10 2004

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by lopezgreat, Sep 29, 2020.

1. lopezgreat

lopezgreat MDL Novice

May 6, 2015
    After updating to win10 2004 (x64 home), my two laptops have the same battery problem: showing plugged-in but not charging (one from MSI, the other from lenovo)
    is it just a coincidence or really a problem with win10?

2. nosirrahx

nosirrahx MDL Expert

Nov 7, 2017
    Laptops often wont charge if they are close to 100% and in use. I started noticing this many years ago.

Use it on battery until it is under 90% and then plug it in and see what happens.

3. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    This is just one question before to start thinking about anything.
    Do you have installed battery controllers and drivers made by pc producer, because usually a clean installation of Windows will install generic controllers and they may not work properly on your system.
    Do you have original batteries or have you renewed them, ie replaced them with new ones? I don't know about MSI, but the Leneovo computers won't charge if you use batteries that do not have Lenovo chips.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. lopezgreat

lopezgreat MDL Novice

May 6, 2015
    thank you for ur reply

i update the windows from 1903, with battey controller from msi & lenovo (come with laptops when bought)

all batteries / charger are build-in and original

so i wonder if there is any driver problem (msi is old, but at least no driver update available from lenovo) or win10 problem

5. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    Check for bios updates too.

6. Super Spartan

Super Spartan MDL Expert

May 30, 2014
    That is NOT a problem. It's a feature to protect your battery from being overcharged and thus reducing its lifespan quickly. Most modern laptops have this battery protection feature.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
  8. adric

adric MDL Expert

Jul 30, 2009
    My battery charge threshold is:
    baterry.png
    Supposedly, this type of charging has less wear and tear on your battery. I do the same thing
    with my phone.

9. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    #9 kaljukass, Sep 30, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2020
  10. Carlos Detweiller

Carlos Detweiller Emperor of Ice-Cream

Dec 21, 2012
    ? It is a deliberate feature for battery management. Not all manufacturers will expose it, however (they'll show 100% charged anyway).

Calibrating is necessary after some time of only light discharges/trickle charging, or after many full discharge/charge cycles. Battery Care uses 30 dc/c cycles as default.

11. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    It is normal to calibrate at least once a year, but every three months is recommended to calirate again. You probably have never did that. Look, that's why I think so.
    Another thing - it's wrong because each battery only stops charging shortly after 100% of the current capacity is reached (you said you have that number 85%) and charging starts whenever the battery is connected to the charger and lasts exactly as long as the battery reaches its current maximum capacity. If battery is full, it ends after some seconds.
    The older the battery is, the faster it will run out of charging.
    The next story is about Li-ion batteries.
    The battery ages very quickly at the beginning and loses about 24-25% of its nominal capacity after the first three months. In the following months, the battery will lose about 15-20% of its remaining capacity every three months. During the first year, each battery has lost about 65-75% of its original or nominal capacity.
    Since no computer measures battery capacity, but only estimates its residual value based on charging parameters, an uncalibrated battery meter shows strange examples.
    I would add - I don't think how these things work, but I know, because I've been a physicist for 40+ years and my profession is electronics and processes in electronics components.

12. adric

adric MDL Expert

Jul 30, 2009
    #13 adric, Sep 30, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2020
    Look, you thought wrong. :p
    From what I gather, you don't believe the settings I have made and the % charge I see with the Lenovo Power Manger is actually correct as I previously stated, whereas I do, so please don't burst this dummy's bubble with more facts and physics.
    battery.png

13. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    Look, we're talking about normal charging and normal settings. If for any reason or method you have set up your own device to work differently, it is your choice and decision. It is your decision and you should not misinform other people.
    Of course, it is possible to change the default settings, but settings such as the one you are using are completely incomprehensible and detrimental to the health of the battery hard, therefore, absolutely not recommended use such settings.
    But of course, how someone decides to use their property, it is their own business. At the same time, false information should not be disseminated to give the impression to others like these are the correct settings and should be so...
    If You really want bad to others, i'll give up. Good bye.

14. adric

adric MDL Expert

Jul 30, 2009