Beginner thread, questions on getting Digital Entitlement(s) for backup to use later

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by IAmAPC, Jun 29, 2016.

1. IAmAPC

IAmAPC MDL Junior Member

Aug 1, 2013
    #1 IAmAPC, Jun 29, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2016
  2. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    First, Home Premium was win 7, now there is only Home ;)

Just establish a HWID for all windows 10 editions available for HWID (Home and Pro and maybe the N versions too).

But if you can establish a win 10 Pro HWID why would you want a Home HWID?

The HWID is not language dependant so you can install all languages you want in the future.

3. IAmAPC

IAmAPC MDL Junior Member

Aug 1, 2013
    Huh? I was hoping for some beginner help here.

And I honestly don't understand much it at all from your answer, except for this:

4. makin.ditch

makin.ditch MDL Member

Feb 23, 2014
    1. You can remove Windows Media Player through "Turn Windows features on or off" but probably doesn't save much space
    2. I think your understanding of the digital entitlement may be way off, I don't believe it can be transferred as you hope. only minor hardware changes permitted.
    3. When you download Windows 10 with the download tool from Microsoft there used to be an option to download just single language versions, if still there that would be your best bet.
    4. If you have digital entitlement (meaning it's been activated) for both home and pro for the same hardware we can switch between them both for now. no guarantee with Microsoft that you will always be able to, as far as I know but should be able to. But it is tied to the hardware, it looks like if your original version was retail then you may be able to switch hardware or if your original entitlement was for say a Surface tablet you may be able to transfer it to a replacement tablet but that would probably be somewhat at Microsoft's discretion.

5. Bat.1

Bat.1 MDL Expert

Oct 18, 2014
    Bat thought replies had disappeared then realized it's a second thread to ask the same question as the first one o_O

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    #6 PhaseDoubt, Jul 1, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2016
    "Digital Entitlement" is not a thing you can set aside, it's a process ... an idea so to speak. Once you upgrade an eligible computer to Windows 10, that computer is noted as having the entitlement on a Microsoft server. There's nothing for you to set aside. So long as you maintain Microsoft's idea of what makes that computer the same computer (certain unchanged hardware pieces), you can install Windows 10 on it over and over and the OS will always be activated. That's because the Microsoft server looks at your computer and says to itself, "Yes, I know you; activation can proceed."

This process has to be repeated on every computer separately to get the Digital Entitlement for each computer.

If you wish, you can restore a Windows 7 System Image to the newly digitally entitled Windows 10 computer and retain the entitlement. That's because the entitlement is based on hardware identification (HWID) and maintained on the Microsoft server and not your local machine. However, if after you restore Windows 7 you do extensive hardware replacement, the entitlement will likely be lost. That's because the Microsoft server no longer "sees" the same computer ... too many hardware changes. What hardware swaps will precipitate a loss of entitlement? I have no idea but once the computer loses significant hardware ID, the entitlement is gone.

7. IAmAPC

IAmAPC MDL Junior Member

Aug 1, 2013
  8. IAmAPC

IAmAPC MDL Junior Member

Aug 1, 2013
    Can you give any help on how to proceed with this, as per the original port? I still have 9 days left. Thank you!

9. MS_User

MS_User MDL Guru

Nov 30, 2014

u forget one small detail u need to log in with MS account for activation to take place....the MS server will not complete it with out a log in. will not activate on a local account.

10. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    Why do i not need to login with my MSA and still be HWID activated? Will test it again asap (when my testpc is ready with test upgrading).

11. excalibur2

excalibur2 MDL Senior Member

Aug 1, 2015
    Sorry to interupt but as you say the computer hardware is on the MS server... does that mean I can add more hardrives at anytime and instal the original win 10 on each extra hardrives and they would all be activated etc and upgraded on August 2nd and onwards?

12. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    Only on that machine :)

13. MS_User

MS_User MDL Guru

Nov 30, 2014
    was it a clean install?

14. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    Yep, specially installed for the test.

15. MS_User

MS_User MDL Guru

Nov 30, 2014
    strange i did a clean install on one of my laptops and had to log in and click verified this machine:g: i think in some machine it will force to log in verified.

16. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    I only get asked to verify when i use a MSA, not when i use a local account.

17. MS_User

MS_User MDL Guru

Nov 30, 2014
    i understand...but when u do a clean install and u dont input a product key i dont see how is going to activate your OS with out a log in to verified it?

18. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    It worked without verification for 10240 and all 10586.x editions, the HWID is still valid. The test was done on 14393 Pro x86 en-US.