behavior similar to keylogger detected

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Holden von Vloppen, Dec 12, 2012.

1. Holden von Vloppen

Holden von Vloppen MDL Junior Member

May 16, 2010
    I have a Lenovo laptop with Windows 7 Home. When I boot up, often times I find it annoyingly long and then Kapersky gives me the message that behavior similar to a keylogger has been detected. After that, the computer appears to run fine. This is a laptop with the OEM Win 7 Home. It's not a pirated copy with any kind of loader.

A couple weeks ago I booted to the Kapersky rescue CD. It's the Kapersky that boots to its own Linux OS and runs a version of Kapersky/Linux with it. The idea is to not let Windows run so that viruses cannot exploit Windows to hide behind it. Any viruses cannot run at all. I updated the definitions and did a full scan. It found nothing. I also ran a full Malwarebytes scan under Windows 7 and it found nothing.

Is there anything else I need to do to make sure I don't have a keylogger? When Kapersky (under Windows) reported keylogger-like behavior, it gave me precious little information. It couldn't point to any particular application. I suspect may be a legitimate program might simply have used some unconventional programming, but I want to be sure. I do all my financial stuff on this PC and can't let security be compromised. Kapersky does have a virtual keyboard that's supposed to thwart any keylogging, but I still want to kill the keylogger if it's on here.

I appreciate any suggestions.

2. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    Well, since I do considerable online financial work, if it were me I'd change all my online passwords to something at least as complex as before, inspect all my accounts very often, talk to each customer service and then I'd wipe my drive and reinstall the OS. Of course I'd backup my data first, but you have to be careful of infection there too. Having more than one computer, I'd likely switch to an alternate.

Of course if you have a wireless network, you'd be ahead of the game to use only a wired connection for critical communications. Easy for me since I have more than one, but today's wireless-only internet users might find that a bit much if not downright impossible.

As one respondent called it not too long, OS re-installation is a mite "Draconian", but whether it is or not is pretty much a function of what you stand to lose.

3. Holden von Vloppen

Holden von Vloppen MDL Junior Member

May 16, 2010
    Actually, I do have an ethernet PC. I think that might be a good idea to only use it for financial stuff. Thanks.