Best Android Phone?

Discussion in 'Mobile and Portable' started by Yen, Dec 9, 2010.

1. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    Hi,

I'm looking for an Android phone.
    -Samsung Galaxy S
    -HTC Desire HD
    -???

It should be excelent at sound (I have good headphones already.). The sound of the speaker doesn't matter much, though.
    Battery life?

The desire HD is a bit large and the Galaxy S seems to have a low priced plastic case....
    Battery life seems a problem, too?

Anybody got one (android phone) and is satisified with it?

Thanks for your comments. :)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    Thanks for your post.
    I had the chance to test it. (wmobile6.5 only) ...sound on headphone is far not satisfying. AFAIK ancestor(v) has got it and is much satisfied.
    He uses windows business functions more than multimedia.
    Anyway the multiboot option sounds good!
    HD2 is as large as HD desire...4.2 almost too large for carrying in pants pocket...?

Hmm the more I read about the less I know....it seems there is no perfect one.....will read more about..... :)
    My fav atm is the samsung galaxy s..SAMOLED display 4 Zoll ....Froyo, but it looks like those cheap ones... :(

HTC's are looking more valuable...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    Hi cool,
    I'm writing this on my galaxy. Finally the display is far superior to the htc.
    build quality is not bad though.
    I'm happy with it.

4. asudo

asudo MDL Novice

Dec 13, 2010
    #6 asudo, Dec 13, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2010
    As per my point of view following are best Android phone.
    - Samsung Galaxy
    - HTC Hero
    - Sony Ericssion Xperia

5. RawData

RawData MDL Member

Mar 4, 2008
    Glad to hear you made the right choice. :cool:
    Rooted already? :p

6. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
  7. alextheg

alextheg MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2009
    New phone for me in january. Im really stuck between the Desire HD and the Galaxy S. The Nexus doesn't look bad either....... What to do ?

8. alextheg

alextheg MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2009
    Or can i be patient and wait for the LG Optimus 2X. Dual core processor and dedicated GPU. Not to mention new handsets coming equipped wit Nvidia Tegra chips.

9. alextheg

alextheg MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2009
    Tell me more ?

10. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    I have to disagree. Samsung has a far superior Superamoled display. HTCs have worse battery life and are heavy to carry in pocket. Also the design is not cool, they are looking like made in Russia.lol....solid and heavy but uncool...also multi media performance such as sound and graphics are worse.
    Who actually needs the Sense?

The lag has disappeared at latest stock firmeware.
    It's a perfect phone now...I have rooted and customized it....Galaxy s rulez and is cheaper...

HTC desire HD's battery life is very short! I could test both of them, but has a bigger screen.

...both are fine.

11. RawData

RawData MDL Member

Mar 4, 2008
    Yen, in case you get tired of ads, try "AdFree Android".
    It cures the ad-annoyance for most apps... :p

Do you get your software via AppBrain or Market?

12. Hoppyah

Hoppyah MDL Senior Member

Aug 12, 2009
    only if your rooted

13. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    #16 Yen, Jan 10, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2011
    (OP)
    I have had the Samsung Galaxy S and the HTC desire HD from a good shop for a test. (in the beginning of December)

HTC desire HD:
    Prize: 539€
    Battery capacity 1230 mAh only! (It lasts noticeable a shorter time, because less capacity and a bigger screen) Samsung keeps the good bateries for their own devices, lol.

Samsung Galaxy S
    Prize: 449€
    Battery capacity 1500mAh! Smaller screen (4) and superamoled display. Superamoled displays have the best battery drain.

Honestly, I don't know what you mean, have you ever compared a Samsung SUPERAMOLED display to a HTC display???
    It is far superior to ALL HTCs. The color saturation and black level are much much better unless you are blind.:D:);)

Thanks, I know the Adfree app already.
    I get my apps from the market. I also have tried applanet, but they are off sometimes. AppBrain, I will test as well.

I'm searching for apps through google, you can find them easily (even the full versions) :D and install them via astro.
    Just add the .apk extension when searching for it (many are found at 4shared)

What I did so far:
    Installed stock firmware JPY.
    Installed mod kernel (root, superuser, recovery 2e, busybox)
    Installed CWR (very usefull when you are playing with roms and make your own customisations).
    Modded the framework-res.apk (battery Icons and some self made icons)
    Installed Navigon full :D :p

Good apps:
    fancy widget pro
    clockwork recovery (installed via rom manager)
    ES File Explorer (lan and FTP support)
    audio boost (very nice if you have good headphones, the sound is really amazing)
    aquarium donation live wallpaper.
    ADW launcher and themes (sometimes)
    just pictures (allows to zoom hires pictures, whereas the gallery doesn't refine the data)
    floating images is nice, too.

...more to test.

Keep you updated.

14. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    Yes I know. My experience is personal as well.:D
    Most would say the HTC desire HD is better than the Galaxy S...(there are polls about). I evaluated all pros and cons and for me the Galaxy S is far better.
    Samsung is very slow at firmwares. I have to say the latest one still fixed MAJOR issues like lag and GPS...

15. alextheg

alextheg MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2009
    #18 alextheg, Jan 14, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2011
    No way to root my HTC DHD at the moment . VISIONary doesn't work on build 1.75. I hope someone at XDA comes up with a new way to root it. I have to say the stock Rom , 2.2 Froyo Is not bad at all. Only slight lag sometimes. On the other hand there seem to be some good roms out there can't wait to try some out . On the whole the DHD is very good though .

16. alextheg

alextheg MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2009
    If anyone knows another way to root the HTC DHD please do let me know . :)

17. RawData

RawData MDL Member

Mar 4, 2008
    But of course everybody has their little friend already rooted, eh? :p