Best antivirus free or paid

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by whwebsolutions, Nov 26, 2015.

1. whwebsolutions

whwebsolutions MDL Junior Member

Jun 1, 2015
    Hello,

I currently have Bitdefender and it works like a charm but the problem is that it used a lot of RAM, and while scanning it uses anywhere from 70% to 99% of the CPU. So I was wondering, what ANTIVIRUS program is the same or around the same as Bitdefender but uses less RAM and CPU?

2. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    #2 EFA11, Nov 26, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2015
    You didn't mention what OS you are running, but the user is the best and least intrusive active anti-virus and you already have it. Combine that with a simple daily run of Malwarebytes and you should be good.

Win8->10 use Defender that is built into them and you will not even know it is running until it see's something and questions it. Anyway... If you cannot trust your own habits on the net, you will have to sacrifice some performance and run 3rd party AV's. ESET, BitDefender, Avast all will suffice.

3. whwebsolutions

whwebsolutions MDL Junior Member

Jun 1, 2015
    I have Windows 10. Also I dont like Defender as it does not offer as much customization as these do. So if you had your choice, which would you can is the best and runs the least RAM and CPU?

4. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    without actually running a bench on all of them, BidDefender has always been a good choice for many, small footprint and fairly unobtrusive. Personally I have always liked ESET, but that is me.

5. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012

MSE is a crap, useless and resource hog spyware.

Likely the worst you can find in the whole market.

6. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012
    Sorry I'm not interested in MS famboysm. I care about the real world.

7. petok

petok MDL Senior Member

May 4, 2009
    I use Emsisoft Anti-Malware I have 7 years and never have problems. System is light work not huge ram use.

8. Kim100

Kim100 MDL Addicted

Jun 17, 2009
    Avast Free every time.

9. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012
    It's good but heavy and intrusive.

use nod 32 if you want a good Paid AV, or avira for a more than decent free one.

10. Engineer2k2

Engineer2k2 MDL Member

Jun 21, 2012
    My favorite is AVIRA.:clap:

Second choice Kaspersky.:cool:

11. Keenoo

Keenoo MDL Novice

Dec 3, 2015
    What do you think of cloud based antiviruses?

12. lostpassword

lostpassword MDL Member

Nov 21, 2009
    #12 lostpassword, Dec 4, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2015
    Interesting thread. I have never been caught by a serious virus in 25 years. The only times I have had some problems is opening emails from friends, or where the friends name has probably been used as a scam. Nowadays I never open email from any banks, even though I may have accounts with them. I recently had an email from an organization of which I am a member,but the email address had a stupid address, without the name of the organization in it, so I deleted it. This was replaced the next day by an email with a more sensible address containing the name, but I was still wary.
    I use Gmail, and have a copy sent to my Outlook Account, now 2016. I use Windows 10 32 bit and Microsoft Defender and Firewall. A regular scan is done with Malwarebytes. The only stuff which comes up is k??auto.exe which I have added to allowed list.

Am I correct in thinking that providing one does not go beyond the preview in OUTLOOK 2016, and never actually opens the previewed email, I should be safe. Gmail puts dozens of emails in the bin,so I never even get them in Outlook. On the occasions I had problems I always wipe the disk and reinstall. I personally do not believe that problems from malware etc can never be truly eliminated. I am retired so do have the three or four hours it takes.

Also I am correct in assuming that if a file is in recycle bin it cannot be a threat? I empty recycle bin regularly,and I know the data is on the disk somewhere, until data area is reused or whole disk wiped. Formatting is not enough.

13. kevincy

kevincy MDL Novice

Dec 4, 2015
    I'm always using ESET.
    Don't ask me why, just like it due to less memory occupation and the ability of self-defense and unknown virus detection.o_O

14. eric33

eric33 MDL Junior Member

Nov 21, 2012
    have you infected yorself yor computer winth lates virus and them checked with different antivirus ? them you could have a real definition of real world as you said and you coul realice of wich is beter or not.
    and by the way mse detected as good as others
    do what i said and you will see it

15. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012

I never got a virus in 34 years of IT. But being a technician I have my personal but effective statistics about client's PCs

The only things that MSE detects are the windows loaders and emulators.

It's completely useless against real threats.

16. eric33

eric33 MDL Junior Member

Nov 21, 2012
    statistics about client's PCs depend of the behavier of the client and the way the use, when you test as the way iam mantionted before you could really say wich one it is suitable, and wich one have a better detention

17. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012
    Exactly.

That's why I value my experience way more than a random kid over a forum.

Then feel free to believe in whatever you want.

18. eric33

eric33 MDL Junior Member

Nov 21, 2012
    when you tested as the way a said you will be completely sure wich one is better i do not say wich one is better im saying try to infest your computer and run at least 6 antivirus and then you will have a better idia. thats the way we do it in our Company

as you said feel free to believe in whatever you want

19. Engineer2k2

Engineer2k2 MDL Member

Jun 21, 2012