Best antivirus free or paid

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by whwebsolutions, Nov 26, 2015.

1. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012

If you want the answer for the life the universe and everything... it's 42. :D

There isn't the perfect antivirus nor a perfect rating.

But there are reasonable observations of facts that tends to become more and more precise when the number of cases taken in account grows.

That's all

2. ciwa

ciwa MDL Novice

Mar 30, 2014
    These companies receive money regurlarly from av companies
    So what can you expect from these results? :p

3. ZarkBit

ZarkBit MDL Junior Member

Jun 18, 2015
    #23 ZarkBit, Dec 5, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2015
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Engineer2k2

Engineer2k2 MDL Member

Jun 21, 2012
    If you think so! just test is yourself - you will get answer to your notion.:D

5. shrinivas

shrinivas MDL Member

Apr 10, 2015
    I have installed 360 Total Security (free) AV, it takes about 40MB of RAM, just sits quietly in Taskbar, updates itself, seems to work fine. It has addons for Chrome and Firefox too. As to its AV capabilities, I have no idea, so far have not encountered any virus !
    Regards

6. excalibur2

excalibur2 MDL Senior Member

Aug 1, 2015
    Well I've been using Kaspersky for years because it's free with a Barclays Bank account, and it's on five hard drives on three computers...never had a virus, but I don't know if it's Kaspersky's fault but a nasty got onto my computer (the one that changes your toolbar) and a Kaspersky scan and malwarebytes wouldn't get rid of it...anyway went onto the net and the util that killed it was ADWcleaner, but beware if anyone wants to use this cleaner then make sure you download from a reliable source as the hackers are putting up false ones that when used try to persuade you that you have something seriously wrong with your computer and to buy help.
    BTW I have a spare old computer (3rd one) running win 10 insider with Kaspersky it has 2gb of ram, and although I don't have many programs on it, it's just a fast as my fastest computer for general use and beats the other two on boot up with 35 secs....so Kaspersky doesn't seem to slow it down.

7. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    only one name: immunet 3 :)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. philthy07

philthy07 MDL Novice

Mar 16, 2014
    I work at a company that supports about 4,000 machines all around the world running win 7/8 and we use avast (and have for about 5 years now) and have never had to remove a virus.

9. hawkmoons

hawkmoons MDL Novice

Dec 15, 2015
    I have Avast! Antivirus; is that still good or should I switch to something better? I'm not much of a fan of Windows Defender either...

If I had the money for a great antivirus I would totally check things out...but alas, it's not to be D:

If there are any great free alternatives, by all means please continue to suggest them~

10. .org

.org MDL Novice

Jan 26, 2015
    sophos home

11. introvert

introvert MDL Novice

Nov 18, 2011
    sophos home for windows still in beta, IMO for free security suites i recommend avast free :biggrin:

12. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012

Avast is "meh"...

Surely Avira is the best free AV (on some aspects is the best AV overall)

13. .org

.org MDL Novice

Jan 26, 2015
    anti-virus comparatives december 2015

#1 = avira, bit defender, kaspersky, panda & trend micro

#2 = avg

#3 = escan, f-secure & tencent

sophos home version 1.0.2 for windows...no longer :beta:

avast free is not a security suite...avast free = antivirus + browser cleaner + password manager

avast premier is the complete security suite...not for me though :naughty:

i personally would never subscribe to an anti-virus vendor that recommends google chrome browser on their homepage
    with all due respect to your opinion...free protection can never & will never be on par with paid protection :tea:

14. kumaramy

kumaramy MDL Member

Feb 16, 2013
    Guys, How about kaspersky? I am using kaspersky 30 days trial since last six months. For me it is working fine.

15. Mavericks Choice

Mavericks Choice MDL Guru

Aug 5, 2015

Have to agree been using Avira for many years & works well when it's needed!

16. bergy37

bergy37 MDL Member

Dec 23, 2015
    bitdefender is the best

17. mad_max

mad_max MDL Junior Member

Mar 31, 2014
    What about Foticlient? Anyone use it? There is even "lite" version without some vpn stuff.

18. SPDIF

SPDIF MDL Junior Member

Mar 30, 2014
    #38 SPDIF, Jan 10, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2016
    I totally agree with T-S! Everything lies down in the hands of the client behind the screen!

I also started with an 80286 CPU, running at 12Mhz and only an b/w screen, no HDD, no mouse. In all those years i really NEVER got malware or virus on my system.

Your computer IS what you doing with it!

So as for me MSE is sufficient. Now and then a run of MalWareBytes and you good to go.

19. WIKIMACK

WIKIMACK MDL Expert

Nov 10, 2011
  20. potjevleesch

potjevleesch MDL Addicted

Aug 7, 2010
    I wear a gas mask, nbc suit, chirurgical gloves, my rig is in a faraday cage, when I connect to the internet I make three genuflexion, throw salt over my left shoulder... btw I shoot down any black cat in the vicinity