Best CPU

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by vze2mp9g, Sep 22, 2016.

1. vze2mp9g

vze2mp9g MDL Addicted

Oct 13, 2012
  2. Williams Reus

Williams Reus MDL Novice

Aug 23, 2016
    I think you should select Intel® Core ™ i7-6900K Processor
    (20M Cache, 3.70 GHz up to 3:20 GHz, 8 core / 16 threads) . I'm using it and it's really good.

3. R29k

R29k MDL GLaDOS

Feb 13, 2011
    Intel® Xeon® Processor E7-8890 v4
    (60M Cache, 2.20 GHz, 24 core)

24 Cores and it can handle about 3 TB of ram, you will have a killer editing machine.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. vze2mp9g

vze2mp9g MDL Addicted

Oct 13, 2012
    Thank you, I respect your advice. I will, hopefully be adding the new video card from NVidia Titan X.
    Thanks again for your comment... :cool:

5. MS_User

MS_User MDL Guru

Nov 30, 2014
    well how much is your budget if money is not a issue....then go with Intel® Xeon Phi™ Processor 7250.....if $$$ is a issue I7 will the best choice in my opinion.

6. vze2mp9g

vze2mp9g MDL Addicted

Oct 13, 2012
    I don't want to just throw money out there for the most amount of money. I was just trying to determin if clock speed verses number of cores is better.

I briefly looked at the Xeon Phi™ Processor 7250, but I wasn't impressed. What did you mean by "if $$$ is a issue I7 will the best choice"? 17 what, CPUs, Cores?

What I'm attempting to do is get the most for the money so I wouldn't have to be getting a newer system every five to ten years. To be honest, if I get ten years out of it, I'll be doing okay. It's difficult to keep up with technology, and it's not getting any cheaper! :drinks2:

7. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    I would think twice before making statements....
    One needs to consider which component then lets the PC appear as a dinosaur....and it's very application dependent.
    Since OP wants to use it for video & graphics manipulation/processing the CPU itself is not the major part to consider...

@OP. Do you know how much the CPU power is involved when doing your work? I bet it will be the GPU reaching its limit already while a 'common' I7 remains 'bored'...

I mean the I always buy the best Philosophy keeps you away from bottlenecks...but knowing which part is involved most allows you to build a reasonable PC and to save money...

A fast GPU and a bigger amount of fast RAM are most important...I mean why to buy NOW an expensive CPU when it is not needed at all...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    I'm with Yen on this one. When I built my system, I chose an Intel Core I7 3770k
    The system was predominately for music production, so I didn't focus on a high performance GPU.

However, I did get 32 GB of fast RAM and a Samsung SSD.

The system works quite well. I use Cubase 7 and a number of VSTi's that require a -lot- of CPU performance.

(Arturia, Native Instruments)

The stock graphics adapter was more than adequate for my needs. That also allows me to use a 525W fanless PSU, effectively making the system silent.

What do you want to do with the system? Are you looking to game? Are you doing audio / video production?
    Or are you looking for an all-around good machine with a fair amount of processing power and a decent lifespan.

In a certain sense, what ms_user says is true. Computers have a relatively short lifespan in terms of their performance and power. Electronic components also have a relatively short lifespan, although things are getting better.
    If you are one of those people who absolutely has to have the best of the best, then you'll never be satisfied with whatever purchase you make.

Before you choose hardware, think about what you want to do with the computer. That will guide you in terms of what level of performance you need.

And your pocketbook will determine the rest. :)

Good luck with your build.

9. R29k

R29k MDL GLaDOS

Feb 13, 2011
    This is totally dependent on what method is used for encoding and what not. I have found that the Intel Quick Sync is better and cheaper than the gpu encoding methods available. You can use Handbrake and get very good results, and in that case a lot of cores and ram is an advantage.

10. vze2mp9g

vze2mp9g MDL Addicted

Oct 13, 2012
    Thanks for the input. Here is what I've researched so far:

Processor: Dual CPU 44-Core 96.8GHz Total - 2x (Intel Xeon E5-2699 v4 2.2GHz (9.60 QPI) (2400MHz Memory Max)
    Motherboard: ASUS Z10PE-D8 WS (Chipset: Intel C612 PCH) (Up to 4x PCI-E Devices)
    System Memory: 256GB DDR4 2133MHz (ECC Registered) (32GB x 8)

Graphics Card(s): 1x GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB (Pascal) (NVIDIA Founders Edition) (VR Ready)

Sound Card: Creative Sound Blaster Z
    HPC Processor: 1x NVIDIA Tesla K80 Computing Processor (24GB Memory)

Display: Asus 4K Ultra HD 32 inch PA328Q Series (100% sRGB + Rec. 709 Color Space) (3840 x 2160)

Any opinions on this so far? I really appreciate all your comments. :)

11. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    #12 Joe C, Sep 28, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2016
    The board has 8 channel audio, Why do you need a sound card?

12. Flipp3r

Flipp3r MDL Expert

Feb 11, 2009
  13. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    I am not sure if that board is compatible to v4 chips....

Many I ask you @OP which config you are using now to perform your tasks and do you need really need what you've posted? What are you doing? Working as special effects artist for movies? lol

It sounds to me a major part to you is just to buy the most expensive (best?) available...not considering the huge fall in value....I mean who really needs a K80 Tesla except to have the feeling to perform something a few seconds (frames) faster than with another one with a reasonable price/performance ratio???

I mean even if money isn't an issue one should think about if it is wasted in some way...don't get me wrong I also spent 10000 bucks for a PC/screen already, but that was in the 90s....where one MB yes MEGA of RAM was 100 bucks already...

14. MS_User

MS_User MDL Guru

Nov 30, 2014
    yes i meant for gaming only.

15. vze2mp9g

vze2mp9g MDL Addicted

Oct 13, 2012

Most likely I won't. It was just there as the default. I'm no were near of actually getting what I listed. Hopefully, it will be financially doable by the end of this year, if not next quarter.
    Thanks
    :tea:

16. vze2mp9g

vze2mp9g MDL Addicted

Oct 13, 2012