Best Driver update software

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by vicster, Nov 17, 2010.

1. vicster

vicster MDL Novice

Nov 17, 2010
    Hey People,

So alot of this have been popping up lately, and i really like the ideér.

Software to detect driver versions and provide the latest versions of these, this is especially nice on fresh installs.

but alot of the programs seems like scams or not very trustworthy. are any of this software worth your time, or should we just keep a personal archive of drivers and software ?

Kind Regards
    Victor

2. venu

venu MDL Addicted

Oct 16, 2009
    I've tried a few like drivergenius and drivermagician, they are a waste of time. They offered driver updates that were sometimes actually older than the installed versions and even the ones that were already installed. Now I just lookout for new ones manually from time to time.

3. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    As venu said, they do sometimes download older drivers but they are good for finding unknown drivers on systems and for doing a backup of your drivers I do still use drivergenius an odd time but mostly now i just use a driverpacks standalone disk or integrate drivers or driverpacks into cd/dvd.

4. sangalaviral

sangalaviral MDL Senior Member

Jul 30, 2009
    Do you need a software just to update your driver????? how dumb is that?

5. pmpkn2826

pmpkn2826 MDL Novice

Nov 8, 2009
    Driver genius pro 10 but i too only use it to back up my drivers cos sometimes it downloads the wrong "New " drivers lol

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. venu

venu MDL Addicted

Oct 16, 2009
    I recently backed up drivers with freeware called Doubledriver, it was featured once on Lifehacker iirc. Lets see how it does when the time comes to restore.

7. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    Not as dumb as you think, not every one knows how to go into device manger and get hardware ID's e.c.t and windows doesn't always have most recent.
    Rather than useless comment advise on method.

8. zetitres

zetitres MDL Member

Oct 20, 2009
    Also using Double Driver here for backing up and restoring. So far happy with it. To update drivers use to go and check Hp drivers page.

9. seyamco

seyamco MDL Novice

May 7, 2008
    use driver update

10. staats

staats MDL Member

Oct 14, 2008
  11. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    Such users should not attempt any updates & stay with what they have (safest & easiest)
    If such users try to use some automated solution, it is potentially recipe for disaster!

As to the best method? Grey matter & proper use of it

sebus

12. ricktendo64

ricktendo64 MDL Expert

Apr 20, 2008
  13. acyuta

acyuta MDL Expert

Mar 8, 2010
    For me, my MB manufacturer site-MSI-is good enough and current enough. What remains is NVIDIA which can be downloaded from Nvidia or filehippo.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  14. chintuchacha

chintuchacha MDL Novice

Jul 1, 2010
    Windows 7 update take care of drivers itself & Action Center helps you to download every single driver you need... don't waste money on such bulls**t...

15. richardchur

richardchur MDL Novice

May 31, 2010
    Always seem to get into trouble with these particular softwares. Personal preference: just don't use them anymore, just use Device Manager fairly regularly, even though it might not be quite up to date.

16. Galactic_prof

Galactic_prof MDL Novice

Jan 11, 2011
    I prefer Driver Identifier, it´s free :biggrin:

17. Visor1

Visor1 MDL Novice

Nov 13, 2010
    I have to disagree with this statement. Every time W7 offers an update for my graphics card (ATI Radeon HD3600) it hoses my system. For some reason it's never the right one. I have to go into BIOS, tell it to use the integrated graphics until I can reinstall the correct driver. I've learned to ignore and hide updates for my video card.

18. sam8917

sam8917 MDL Novice

Aug 22, 2010
    I repair pc's as a part time job and I use driveragent site. You have to pay for it, but its the best sor far for me.
    Other programs always missed some drivers update for some components but not this one.
    It's really good to take a look at it.
    Thanks,
    Sam...

19. mrdarkgod

mrdarkgod MDL Member

Feb 13, 2010