Best Free Antivirus software ?

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by tea777, May 23, 2015.

1. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    LOL no I'm not but I like a lot the program. Of course there are other ways:
    • Anti-exe
    • Policy restriction
    • HIPS
    • etc.

2. Computer Fixer

Computer Fixer MDL Member

Jan 5, 2010
    I know the title of this thread is "Best Free Antivirus Software" , but the paid versions aren't any better than most of the free apps.
    As a side business where I work- we do computer repairs- it's really mostly virus removal nowadays- and I've literally seen every AV program under the sun (paid and free) let stuff in.

Best bet is practice safe surfing, and if you need to vist a less than reputable site- use someone else's computer :p

3. sid_16

sid_16 MDL Giveaway Organiser

Oct 15, 2011
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Super Spartan

Super Spartan MDL Expert

May 30, 2014
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
  6. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    Kaspersky with KTR

7. sid_16

sid_16 MDL Giveaway Organiser

Oct 15, 2011
    1st. its not a security forums so the members telling you their experiences using different free/paid AV in their system. It depends on the usability of internet , there are instances, people running no av paid or free but their system is clean but where as, there are some, who, change their av just like they change the undergarments still their system gets infected very often.

So you try yourself the free AVs linked above and decide yourself or try any paid AVs for 30days which suits your needs, then buy it.

Yes free version AV has some annoying adds if you don't like then go for the paid version.

8. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
  9. Jari

Jari MDL Senior Member

Jan 18, 2013
    Well, I have been just satisfied with free Windows Defender, but I would pay instead of saving a little money, if the choices are on the above ...

History: Trend Micro, AVG, Avast, Panda, Windows Defender (Security Essentials) - never found any true viruses running in my Computers, except false positives and those AV programs often causes me headaches by hurting my valuable softwares :(

10. R29k

R29k MDL GLaDOS

Feb 13, 2011
  11. P.J

P.J MDL ☂

Jul 30, 2009
    :tasty:

Best Free Antivirus software ?

12. fockoff

fockoff MDL Junior Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Symantec Endpoint Protection is the way to go. (w/ Malwarebytes Anti-Malware on the side)

Both go well together.

13. msr

msr MDL Senior Member

Dec 27, 2007
  14. ZarkBit

ZarkBit MDL Junior Member

Jun 18, 2015
    #36 ZarkBit, Jul 9, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2015
    Here's my experience with some antivirus.

Windows Defender - Please just don't... Seriously, Microsoft should focus on OS, their antivirus isn't worth it... tested this AV on my relative's computers (4 people) after 6 months made a scan with various virus removal tools and damn I had to press the red button. Nasty little bugs just went through Windows Defender without getting noticed.

Avira - Loved the initial versions of Avira, simple and lightweight, regarding its detection rate, never had many problems, a few false positives, most viruses were caught by it. Now with the latest versions, gonna be honest, despite that their detection rate might be good (and I say "might" because I haven't used it in a while). Regarding its performance it has become awful, and performance is something that you should consider, even on an antivirus.

AVG - I was pretty skeptic about this one, always avoided it, don't ask me why, I just did. Eventually I just started using it and was surprise by it, it was the most user-friendly AV I have checked and it had really nice performance. Regarding it's detection rate, nothing to complain about, there were a bunch false positives, but oh well, you'll get those in any antivirus.

Symantec Endpoint Protection - My favorite, BUT I don't advise people on this one unless they got some expertise, this bastard is really confusing, it's just a mess, once you start tweaking it you'll end up asking yourself wtf have you just done. Still, It's a pretty good one.

ClamWin - Simply the most lightweight antivirus out there, period. It's a simple On-Demand scanner, so there is no real time protection. Still, It's a good one.

Now, I have just written about some free ones, so I'll leave it as it is since this is a "Free app search" thread. Honestly, there is no best antivirus, most of them have their own virus database, what one might pick up as a virus, the other one might see it as a false positive, while another might not even be alarmed by it. So, besides the AV, you might as well use some extra security tools, Adware Cleaner, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (they are giving free licenses), Spybot Search & Destroy, there are plenty of tools that together may help enforcing security, but in the end, it all comes down to the user's behavior (sort of).

This types of subjects regarding viruses is just stupid, for a simple reason, It's just like real life viruses, one pops out, a few people get infected and ONLY THEN is the anti virus made (after the virus is known), so, this just re-enforces the idea that there is no best anti virus, at least regarding detections. Regarding performance, well, that's another subject to discuss.

Currently I use is ClamWin alongside with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and I might even pick up a few other tools just to make sure (no real time scanner activated), simply because I don't need a real time scanner and I like things simple and lightweight (don't bash me please... I am extra careful with this kind of stuff xD)

15. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013