Best Iso?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by phaseshift, Jan 8, 2017.

1. phaseshift

phaseshift MDL Novice

Jan 16, 2016
    I currently have windows 10 and Ive experienced the slow down in the oS and looking to do a clean install. Is there a Windows 10 version that doesn't have all the "bad" stuff. I just want an OS that is clean, secure and doesn't spy on me.

2. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    crickets chirping......
    all win 10 have telemetry. :g:

you may try mediacreationtool to make usb.. or try re upgrade of w10 and that sometimes fixes slowness.

3. phaseshift

phaseshift MDL Novice

Jan 16, 2016
    I was just wondering if someone already took the steps to do so. Is there a list of updates that are good to go and that should be avoided?

4. Nucleus

Nucleus MDL Guru

Aug 4, 2009
    In my language all the Metro crap modern apps constitute "bad stuff", junk for tablets and phones has no place in a desktop OS. So I'd either seek out an LTSB download or see about stripping all the modern apps junk form a Pro ISO with MSMG Toolkit. Then you need to tackle the hideous monstrosity that is the W10 start menu, replace it with one of the far superior alternatives. Then should you wish to progress further you can investigate tweaking some settings and group policies etc.

Cue dhjohns...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    #6 Enthousiast, Jan 8, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2017
    There are just 3 integrateble updates for 10, servicing stack (KB3199986), flash security update for msie (kb3209498) and the cumulative update. You can choose from these three releases (Insider CU: kb3209835, update.catalog CU: KB3213522, normal CU: kb3206632).

If you want a legit install, generate a HWID for 10 Pro.

6. wazzock

wazzock MDL Senior Member

Oct 22, 2016
    as i posted elsewhere, the start menu can be disabled and is usable without it. :)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. wazzock

wazzock MDL Senior Member

Oct 22, 2016
    if you dont, follow the yellow brick road in Nucleus's signature :cool:

8. 2hot6ft2

2hot6ft2 MDL Novice

Nov 18, 2016
    Make your own

Closest I've seen is the Enterprise LTSB version. Other than that you should create your own by deciding what if anything you want or not using MSMG. Find the thread "How to: Make a Windows 10 "Super LTSB" ISO". I can't post links.

Use VirtualBox to test them out and find what works for you. I finally found my balance this way. There is also a uninstall_edge script here to get rid of Edge. Several tweaking apps to further modify things. ShutUp 10, winaerotweaker, Ultimate Windows Tweaker, and Windows_Tweaker_5.3.1-Portable.

9. phaseshift

phaseshift MDL Novice

Jan 16, 2016
    Great responses so far guys, I appreciate it. Should I stick with Windows 7 ultimate I have both OS's.

10. tracit99

tracit99 MDL Senior Member

Oct 17, 2014
    Well that is up to you. I hate to be the bearer of bad news but Windows 7 also has telemetry that reports to MS if you have kept it updated. So does Windows 8/8.1. You have to research and find an operating system that you are comfortable with.

11. 2hot6ft2

2hot6ft2 MDL Novice

Nov 18, 2016
    #12 2hot6ft2, Jan 8, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2017
    Backup 7 to an image and you can always just restore it and be right where you are now. That's what I did with both Clonezilla AND Windows Backup and Restore to an external drive + saved both to my NAS Server so if i decide to go back I can in about 30 minutes.

Remember with Windows Backup and Restore it will save to the root of a drive and if there's a image there already it WILL overwrite it so be sure to move or copy it to a folder before saving another image to that drive.

I have made 10 tolerable so not really thinking about going back at this point.:g:

I just made a fresh backup and it only took about 4 minutes including hooking up the external drive cleaning Windows, running trim, creating the image, creating the folder for it and moving the image into it. So it's not like it will take all day to do.