Best steps after a linux install?

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Enzo Matrix, Feb 11, 2016.

1. Enzo Matrix

Enzo Matrix Guest

I've read multiple articles on this subject but I was wondering what the users here regard as the top steps to take after an install of linux, like what codecs, libraries, software etc. to install? Thanks :)

2. SOCRATE_MMXII

SOCRATE_MMXII MDL Expert

Jan 25, 2012
    Most linux distros come with all the necessary software, so the only "tweak" you need to do is to set up the firewall.
    VLC and SMPlayer play almost everything out there.
    Depending on your dedicated video card (ATi or nVidia) you'll need to install the proprietary drivers (in some cases), but in most cases the open-source drivers do a very good job.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. thorin0815

thorin0815 MDL Senior Member

Jul 16, 2015
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. pds3

pds3 MDL Novice

Jul 11, 2012
    If you installed Ubuntu, Ubuntu Tweak is one of the very best pieces of free software you can install.

5. CHEF-KOCH

CHEF-KOCH MDL Addicted

Jan 7, 2008
    Confirmed on Ubuntu ~> Ubuntu Tweak + some shell gimmick commands to change some environment points but the rest is pretty much the same on each OS. Setup the software you like and run it.

I usually create a sandbox environment for testing purchases, same like with VM.