Best Vista x64 activator?

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by NeverHere, Jul 23, 2011.

1. NeverHere

NeverHere MDL Novice

Jul 23, 2011
    Hello.

I recently tried using a version of the Vista Loader which apparently modified my boot sectors. The MBR, and possibly the PBR(s). I'm using Vista SP2 (x64).

After poking around in the install script (I extracted the exe contents), I instantly noticed that it used GRLDR a file from the GRUB4DOS project. How did I know?

Because... I already used GRUB4DOS as my bootloader as I'm a multi-booter. It had renamed my menu.lst file, and replaced the version of GRLDR I was currently using. This is a problem as it essentially rendered my multi-boot system a single-boot system. Luckily enough, I had backed up my original MBR when I originally installed GRUB4DOS, and I was able to restore my GRUB4DOS functionality.

So I guess my final question is, is there a Vista activator out there that won't screw around with my master/partition boot records?

After doing a quick search, I see older versions of VistaLoader were capable of booting from a (cd)dvd-rom, with the disc containing the boot info needed for the bios emulation. Is there anyway to make the latest VistaLoader into a boot disc like the older versions?

2. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
  3. NeverHere

NeverHere MDL Novice

Jul 23, 2011
    Daz'z Loader uses the same method. It installs a modified Grub4Dos onto the hard-drive's MBR (a major no-no). If there was a way to turn it into a bootable disc, I could simply try to chainload that boot disc iso image from a clean Grub4dos install, and not mess up whatever else I might need to do with my multi-boot setup.

Considering the nature of the post doesn't change, could you move this post to the appropriate forum for asking about Daz's project?

4. Daz

Daz MDL Developer / Admin
    Staff Member

Jul 31, 2009
    #4 Daz, Jul 23, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    My application doesn't modify the MBR exactly, only the boot sector.

The loader uses the latest version of G4D and you can continue to use your custom menu. You simply need to select to use a custom boot menu from the advanced settings when installing the loader and then rename your menu.lst file into usermenu.lst :) Add in the command init for your Vista entry and it will inject a SLIC only when booting Vista.

Code:
    title Windows Vista
    debug 0
    init
    find --set-root --ignore-floppies --ignore-cd /bootmgr
    chainloader /bootmgr
    Note:
    You'll probably want to uninstall your current version of G4D and write the original Windows MBR back.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. NeverHere

NeverHere MDL Novice

Jul 23, 2011
    #5 NeverHere, Jul 29, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    (OP)
    Could I make a feature request? Would it be possible for your app to generate an unique floppy image, or disc iso, containing the boot info needed to start that particular machine?

An image like that would then be able to be chainloaded by a standard bootloader, and bypass the need to change the (MBR) boot sectors. (ie - grub4dos -> custom boot iso, ntldr -> grub4dos -> custom boot iso, grub(2) -> grub4dos -> custom boot iso)

In all honesty, I tried to extract your installer to get a better grasp on how it installed, but I was stalled by the Visual C++ overlay. Is there any documentation on how to fully use your app with a custom menu?

6. FreeStyler

FreeStyler MDL Guru

Jun 23, 2007
  7. NeverHere

NeverHere MDL Novice

Jul 23, 2011
    I really don't klnow how to implement the links you gave. Can't I just ask Daz here how to make the install process transparent. Instead of installing to the hard-drive, I'd like to recreate the install process, but insert the boot info into a virtual floppy/cd-rom instead. The thing being is that his installer automatically adds the correct partition id, and oem brand info of your choosing.

8. Daz

Staff Member

Jul 31, 2009
    #8 Daz, Aug 5, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2011
    @ NeverHere
    It can't be taken apart as it's not .NET and the files aren't extractable.

The application isn't just an installer. It generates a version of the loader thats unique to your system so it has a different name, encryption and file size.

The loader is built off the latest dev version of G4D, not the 2009 version. That's why with each release it often says "Added a new GRLDR version" :)

As of 2.0.5 hidden partition handling has been improved. With this change plus the option to preserve the current boot code it's perfect for systems that dual or quad boot.

I've not released a tool to generate an ISO because I think it wouldn't be used by many people so it'd be time wasted for me to code it.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. NeverHere

NeverHere MDL Novice

Jul 23, 2011
    Yes, that's the thing. I was hoping that the custom-to-your-pc info could be generated but not installed to the hard-drive. Wouldn't it be possible to just have the 'grldr.mbr' file generated, instead of installed? I could then install it to the image of my choosing. I'll just have to see if a proggy like BOOTICE can extract the relevant boot record info, and see if I can somehow install it to an image.
    Yes, the latest being the archive titled 'grub4dos-0.4.5b-2011-08-02.7z'. I'm often installing new OSes, MBRs, and then re-installing again...
    Fair enough, it's your work. If you don't want people picking at it, I understand.

10. Daz

Staff Member

Jul 31, 2009
    As I said there is no grldr.mbr as the MBR isn't modified how you'd expect ;)

Theres an ISO version of the loader here on the forum, although it's a little old now but it should function as you'd like it to.