Best VPN from experience or good word of mouth...

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by timesurfer, Dec 31, 2015.

1. timesurfer

timesurfer MDL Developer

Nov 22, 2009
    #1 timesurfer, Dec 31, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    Was checking out this webpage from torrent freak and was curious before I suggest to a "friend" which to choose would be the best, safest, non-logging VPN site. He said he was using a site AirVPN, but they we're rude and short with him regarding troubleshooting his ongoing VPN connection problems and lack of technical support

Here are the websites suggested questions for any VPN service

Code:
    1. Do you keep ANY logs which would allow you to match an IP-address and a time stamp to a user of your service? If so, exactly what information do you hold and for how long?

2. Under what jurisdiction(s) does your company operate?

3. What tools are used to monitor and mitigate abuse of your service?

4. Do you use any external email providers (e.g. Google Apps) or support tools ( e.g Live support, Zendesk) that hold information provided by users?

5. In the event you receive a DMCA takedown notice or European equivalent, how are these handled?

6. What steps are taken when a valid court order requires your company to identify an active user of your service? Has this ever happened?

7. Does your company have a warrant canary or a similar solution to alert customers to gag orders?

8. Is BitTorrent and other file-sharing traffic allowed on all servers? If not, why?

9. Which payment systems do you use and how are these linked to individual user accounts?

10. What is the most secure VPN connection and encryption algorithm you would recommend to your users? Do you provide tools such as “kill switches” if a connection drops and DNS leak protection?

11. Do you use your own DNS servers? (if not, which servers do you use?)

12. Do you have physical control over your VPN servers and network or are they outsourced and hosted by a third party (if so, which ones)? Where are your servers located?
    Any ideas or hands on knowledge from our beloved MDL users?

:shisha:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. bludgard

bludgard MDL Member

Jan 4, 2011
    timesrfer: This austere comment cannot equal the evidence:
    "I wear my sungalsses at nigh; so I can see".
    There really isn't any privacy on the line. We went from the age of shock and awe to the acceptance stance (as far as being protected from the "man"). I have been expecting a note from my ISP but maybe I am not a big fish? I tell them that all i need is $15 a month and I download the crap outta sh** because we are in IT and always need at least 5GB files for ISOs :D, programs and constant online comms.. I share locally. Never had an issue but I KNOW they know the key-word/profiles are something along the lines of ISUS, arsenic poisoning, anarchy, and a million others that I have not even thought about.
    They know what to look at/for but I really thing anyone on this forum (excluding of course a very few > as eveywhere), everything will be fine. May even get offered a jobe from the man at some point. Thaey seem to have more $ than brains. :sneaky:
    Blessed individuals have a way of not only wining but growing. Can't stop that music.
    I guess what is being written is that I personally would not put my trust in anyone who is not of like mind: Those charging me premium prices for substandard service (there is no onlie/connected privacy). They KNOW who and whhere you are.
    Not to scare anyone but we just do not want to believe it.
    Don't waste you money, love.
    One

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. timesurfer

timesurfer MDL Developer

Nov 22, 2009
    Been doing a lot of reading :shisha:

[​IMG]

4. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    It's all about: WHAT you'll need the VPN for?!

I use SecurityKiss for a few years already and happy with it! Not Free, just excellent!

As I need to download quite some bunch of data in the month from Germany and Switzerland, for which I need to do that from an Local (German and/or Swiss) server, I need a special Tunnel VPN and SecurityKiss is the only one I found to do that work all times, with no errors or not available etc.! Other VPN's I tested, none could do the same!!

That said, before you start to works with them, check out several, till you get one which could do what you need it for!

5. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Was just re-read your initial post and see, you're more likely looking for an VPS and not a VPN:
    • VPS: Virtual Private Server
    • Virtual Private Network

Regarding a VPS, you'll need to check the "fine print" of the rules of that specific VPS! I also would suggest to contact the Support of that VPS Provider first and ask all your specific questions! There huge differences from VPS to VPS!

Regarding VPN, it's the way to get to bypass your own ISP and your real location. It's also called Annonymous, because the 'other' side could not trace to your real location.

As I wrote in my first post, a VPN could more than just hide your location, it could give you the ability to access to downloads which could be done from a specific location only!

Hope that gave you info enough to think about!!

6. windsman

windsman MDL Expert

Jan 11, 2010
  7. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
  8. Phoenix

Phoenix MDL Expert

May 30, 2014
    I use LiquidVPN, the fastest VPN out of all the ones I've used hands down, gives me the same speed as my normal connection from my ISP which is 100MB down/20 MB up

They have a 0 logging policy and allow you to download torrents

9. mal1

mal1 MDL Novice

Feb 11, 2016
    For paid, I'd suggest PIA (American, fast and doesn't log)
    For free, Cyberghost

10. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Addicted

Dec 31, 2015

I too use PIA, but....

You use a VPN, you need to be aware that you know nothing about them. There is simply no way to find out if they have been caught and turned by law enforcement agencies. Telling users, that they do not log is simple...

To keep up to date I recommend this site:

https://torrentfreak.com/

About VPN go there:

https://torrentfreak.com/vpn-anonymous-review-160220/

That page will give you the latest "knowledge" about the VPNs on offer.
    There is NO security online, NEVER will be and what is available will get less and less. No government will miss any chance for total surveillance... we are still at the beginning of this development, so have no illusions...

11. Phoenix

Phoenix MDL Expert

May 30, 2014

I stopped using PIA a few months ago after it turned from one of the fastest VPNs to the slowest and most horrible one

See the latest list of the fastest VPNs:

https://www.vpncompare.co.uk/fastest-uk-vpn-server-february-2016/

I use LiquidVPN

12. GoFigure

GoFigure MDL Novice

Nov 29, 2013
    I use the premium version of CyberGhost. They do not keep logs and have published a year end report on requests they have received. It works very well and has a lot of locations to choose from so you can pick where you want to be from. There is a trust factor involved since I have been using them since they originated as a project.

13. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Addicted

Dec 31, 2015
    There was a security discussion a few months ago and some VPN providers simply never mentioned it, while PIA changed their program, after that it was ridiculously slow. In the forum we then figured out, that using a different PIA driver, made it extremely fast. I see no need to change to change to a provider that costs almost double..

On the link you provide I could not find PIA numbers, so I just tested it through Southhampton and got 92Mps. But I usually do not use the UK anyway.
    I saved the Liquid-Bookmark and if the subject comes up again, I will check it once more

14. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Addicted

Dec 31, 2015
    They have told you that they do use logs..... If they do or not, you have no way of knowing. And the fact that you have been using them since they originated as a project", does not say anything about trust either, it only says something about you.

This post also says nothing about your VPN, it is just to remind you, that you CANNOT know anything and better be careful.

15. JBenal

JBenal MDL Senior Member

Nov 2, 2009
    I started using NordVPN last year after I received a warning from my ISP for downloading Jurassic World, I think it was. NordVPN is P2P friendly and has servers in lots of countries. My download speeds aren't as fast as before, but now I can download without worries about getting threats from my ISP, FBI, etc.

16. ThePrawn

ThePrawn MDL Novice

Jan 15, 2010
    I use wippien and a jabber server (XMPP)
    Only problem you limited to windows :(
    but otherwise ok.

17. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Just tested CyberGhost Free the first time, and have to say: impressive! I downloaded various movies and got within 1½h 10GB of movies down from various location! For a free service: simply GOOD!

18. Phoenix

Phoenix MDL Expert

May 30, 2014
    What server (country) were you connected to? What about DMCA warnings and privacy?

How is it free? is there a limit or ads?

19. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    #19 pisthai, Mar 3, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2016
    I was connected to Germany, Frankfurt, 23 Servers for free in Germany! I wasn't get any add's, nor DMCA warnings! So, for what I need, it works very well, and fast as well. The Download speed was above 4MB/s, which ia pass for my 30/3Mbps connection!!

Edit: Forget to mention, limit is 3 hour per connection, which works also well for me, don't need more than max 2 hour!

20. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    CyberGhost VPN has now a new Apps in Beta Stage for testings, CyberGhost VPN 6 Beta!

Personally I'll stay on CyberGhost 5 for the time being because it just does what I need it for in it's Free Version!

Anyway, CyberGhost is the best Free VPN I'd use till now!