Best way to deploy a custom Start Tile setup? (8.1 Pro, no domain)

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by S_SubZero, Jun 6, 2018.

1. S_SubZero

S_SubZero MDL Member

Sep 22, 2012
    I'm putting together my 'final' 8.1 Pro image at work, and I forgot how stubborn they are with the Start tile layout. I cannot figure out a flawless way to deploy a custom tile setup. These are deploying off WDS (no MDT).

Now before you say "appsFolderLayout.bin", note that only works with Enterprise or *domain joined* 8.1 Pro. These are not on a domain, so it outright ignores this file. I also can't seem to get a custom tile layout working with the "Administrator Account + CopyProfile=True in unattend" method. It always deploys the default tiles.

The best I've managed is copying a read-only appsFolder.itemdata-ms to the default user at the end of the installation via WDS, then in unattend.xml so all users get it, I add a registry entry for a RunOnce to "attriib -r" the current user's appsFolder.itemdata-ms file. This works for that user, but not for any other. This is workable "enough" but I was wondering if I was perhaps missing something to simplify or perfect this process.