Best way to flash MSI Ami bios?

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by Lenny, Feb 26, 2010.

1. Lenny

Lenny MDL Novice

Nov 29, 2009
    Method 1:
    I downloaded the bios file and I got:
    AFUD4310.exe and A7597NMS.210
    put them on a bootable floppydisk and boot from dos.

Method 2:
    Downloaded file MS-7597_2.10.exe from "live update"
    I extracted the .exe file and got:
    A7597NMS.210, AMIFlh.exe, MSISetup.exe
    Run the MSI Setup and I can choose to create a floppydisk to boot from dos.
    or choose to update from windows (I will not do that)
    It seems like It create a rescue disk at the same time on the disk.

So my question: Method 1 or 2?
    (A7597NMS.210 is modded first of course)

2. jradomsk

jradomsk MDL Junior Member

Oct 22, 2009
    go to the MSI user forums and download the MSI HQ bios tool.. Its by far the best way to update ANY MSI mb... the tooll builds a bootable USB drive and installs the correct tools based on the source bios file.. it will flash AMI and Award bioses... I don;t know if they have an mobos with phoenix bios..

This tool must be run on an MSI mb to build the boot drive.. The tool checks for an MSI mobo when running, however it doesnt have to be the mobo that you are going to flash.

3. NoJuan999

NoJuan999 Experienced SLIC Tool Operator

Jul 31, 2009
    Method 1.
    If that version of AFUDOS came with the BIOS file then it is the correct utility to use.
    Why build a bootable floppy with the MSI HQ tool, when you already have one ready?

4. Lenny

Lenny MDL Novice

Nov 29, 2009
    I think I go for method 1
    on msi website I find "How to flash bios" in FAQ
    They recommended method 1
    Thanks anyway for helping.

5. jradomsk

jradomsk MDL Junior Member

Oct 22, 2009
    alot of the faq info is out of date.. live update is still recommended even though its been failing alot... Also the mflash function has been bricking numerous mobos...

The MSI hq tool is not an official tool but there are no reports of it bricking a board with a known good bios.. the updater tries to enforce a thorough memory test (a frequent cause of mobo bricking is marginal ram) and does a complete check that easily allows you to restor ethe original bios before you do a reboot..

The tools is also under constant development with numerous improvements..
    The tool will always choose the right programs (and options) to flash a particular bios, It even knew what was necessary for one of my mobos that had to be upgraded from an award to an AMI bios..

6. mbuhgakeruh

mbuhgakeruh MDL Novice

Jul 27, 2009
    Last night i've came across my friend axioo laptop based on MSI mobo on it. Then i use amiflash (windows version) to save the bios rom file,because i didn't have the original bios file. Mod it to put slic 2.1 then i flash the bios with afudos. I use usb stick with winimage then flash the bios from dos. It worked well.

After all,i always trust flash any bios with dos.

7. Lenny

Lenny MDL Novice

Nov 29, 2009
    #7 Lenny, Feb 28, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2010
    (OP)
    Well I tried method 1 first but when I tried to flash I get some error message
    something with writing from the disk,maybe I did something wrong?
    So I try method 2 of course and I successfully flashing and got slic 2.1 to my new mobo.
    Thank you all for helping.

8. Lagarto_Supremo

Lagarto_Supremo MDL Novice

Jun 14, 2015
    #9 Lagarto_Supremo, Jun 15, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2015
    Well, it is five years later and I'm trying to flash an MSI motherboard with a modded BIOS in a way that won't brick the board. I've flashed it successfully with the stock BIOS, but there are special commands I apparently need to use to flash it with the modded BIOS.

Update: It turns out the guide I was using had some "paraphrased" commands. I had to separate them and the update mod worked.

9. redstone

redstone MDL Novice

Dec 27, 2009
    Its been a while since updating with a modded bios but I don't remember any special commands during the update. If you already have a modded bios then you should be fine using the tool from the link above your post.

10. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    ive used built in to bios flasher and worked.
    do make a backup first.