Best way to reinstall Windows 8 upgrade down the line?

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by Vanel, Nov 3, 2012.

1. Vanel

Vanel MDL Novice

Jun 18, 2012
    I have an $15 upgrade key and intend on doing a clean install of Windows 8 via the MSDN.iso sometime this week, after I do the install and get everything activated, what would be the best method of doing a fresh install down the line, say in 8-12 months?

Is using the stock windows 8 "reset" option a good way to do a "fresh install" or is it half assed? I'm unfamiliar with the new feature.

I've read a post on HARDOCP that said you can overwrite the stock recovery image with a recovery image that includes installed drivers but I can't find any other information on that.

Would some sort of ghost imaging software be a better route? Does that preserve activation? Would this be a better route in the event I upgrade my system hard drive?

The reason I ask is I'm hoping to avoid any activation woes when doing a fresh install, I like having a nice clean system, and I'm trying to think ahead on this issue.

2. kelorgo

kelorgo MDL Addicted

Oct 29, 2012
    With the upgrade key you should have also received a download link where you can get the Windows 8 setup program. Using this setup program, make a download of the Windows 8 installer (about 2 Gb) in size, and the setup program should give you a chance to create installation media (DVD or USB stick). The DVD allows clean installation and will activate with the upgrade key.

If you are worried about activation issues, then don't use the MSDN iso with an upgrade key. After installation from the MSDN iso, you will probably have to apply a registry hack (MediaBootInstall, you can google it).

Note that the Windows 8 setup program (to which you should have received a link) can also be run from within Windows 8 itself, and it will still perform the 2 Gb download. I have done so myself.

3. Vanel

Vanel MDL Novice

Jun 18, 2012
    I made an ISO from the download link, but won't the upgrade key only work from an upgrade installation? I'm trying to avoid doing a double install.

I have XP, Vista, and Win7 keys, but I'm talking about doing a clean/fresh install of Win 8 without going through the hassle of installing a prior windows first. Isn't the MSDN way the best way to do a fresh install without having to go through the hassle of an "upgrade install"?

4. adit123tya

adit123tya MDL Senior Member

Oct 25, 2012
    Then just burn that iso and boot from it... ur done for fresh install... just read on MS forums... a MS tech guy answered to someone