Best Windows 7 install method

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by August59, Jan 3, 2010.

1. August59

August59 MDL Novice

Nov 27, 2009
    I have a Dell M4400 with updated bios (A18 with Slic 2.1). I have a copy of a Dell OEM Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (5.47gb on a dual layer dvd). I also have a copy of Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit Retail (clean copy).

I prefer to go the 32-bit method just for compatability and simplicity and I only have 2gb of RAM. If I go the 32-bit method what is most reliable way to activate? Is a bios mod required in this situation? Is activator as reliable?

If I go the 64-bit method, how is the best way to take the Dell OEM Win 7 Home Premium dvd and modify to (remove ei.cfg file?) as to be able to install Ultimate version? If I need to extract and make an ISO, what is best software? I have Nero 7 updated and ImgBurn (free version).

I want to thank anyone and everyone ahead of time for your help. If there is any information that I can furnish from the Dell OEM Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit DVD, please let me know.

2. Rosco

Rosco MDL Addicted

Oct 29, 2007
    You said your BIOS has a 2.1 SLIC Table - if this is so all you need is the Dell certificate and the right key for the version you install. So - no you don't need a BIOS mod or loader!

There is a tool on these forums which will remove the ei.cfg file - something like UltraISO or similar will allow you to modify the DVD ISO and reburn it - not sure what is best - I use Virtual CD version 10 myself and think it is the best bar none.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. August59

August59 MDL Novice

Nov 27, 2009
    I installed the latest bios from Dell which said that it was required for Windows 7 install. Is that actually installing the Slic 2.1 table?

Does your reply apply to both of the ways I have of installing Windows 7? The Dell OEM and the Retail version?

Now, I'm showing my rookie status. The key will be asked for at the end of install? How do I incorporate the Dell certificate? I feel like there has to be a section to explain the certificate and key situation.

Thank you very much for your help!

4. roirraW "edor" ehT

roirraW "edor" ehT MDL Addicted

Sep 1, 2007
    Hi, it asks for a key before installing, but you can check/uncheck to not enter it now, in which case you would normally have a 30-day trial but you can enter a working key for your edition anytime during OR after the trial to activate Windows 7.

For a Windows 7 that already has the Dell certificate on it, you shouldn't have to do anything special; it will activate on your Dell that already has SLIC 2.1.

For the Retail Windows 7, after installing it without a key, look in this forum for "Program-based Windows 7 loader", by Daz. It's current version is 1.77r. IN YOUR CASE, DON'T DO THE DEFAULT SOFTWARE MOD!!!

Click the "Advanced" checkbox and it's already recognized that you have a Dell 2.1 SLIC so all you have to do is click the "Install certificate and serial" button.

You "would" be able to take the original certificate file off your Dell Home Premium 64-bit OEM DVD and use it with any Windows 7 installation, but you would need an Ultimate key to activate any Ultimate edition. The Program-based Windows 7 loader will put both the Dell certificate AND the key where they need to be. No need to manually extract the certificate from your original OEM DVD.

FYI if you didn't already know, the same key works for 32 and 64-bit, as long as they're both the same edition (Ultimate, for example).

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. HSChronic

HSChronic MDL Expert

Aug 25, 2007
    #5 HSChronic, Jan 4, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2017
  6. Rosco

Rosco MDL Addicted

Oct 29, 2007
  7. August59

August59 MDL Novice

Nov 27, 2009
    Thanks

What can I say! Thanks to all of you for your help. A gentleman over on MSDN recommended this site and I owe him a debt of gratitude too. Best website - secong to none!

8. August59

August59 MDL Novice

Nov 27, 2009
    Now if I could find a clean version of Windows 7 Ultimate x86 Dell OEM I would feel better?

Can I view the certificates that are in a Dell M4400 A18 bios slic table? Would there b any advantage to adding the C:\CERT.XRM-MS and/or SLP Key to the ISO prior to burning.

Does a Dell OEM version install any different drivers than a retail version? I know the OEM disc itself is much larger than retail, but I was assuming that was just language packs?

9. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    From what iv'e read you are correct the only difference is the added language packs, and no there won't be any different drivers. normaly dell supplies them on another cd or if needed you can download them from dell website.

10. August59

August59 MDL Novice

Nov 27, 2009
    That's what I thought, but when I initially installed Win 7 Ultimate it didn't seem to load right and I had problems with my Integrated Webcam and Broadcom Fingerprint Swipe Sensor. I fiddled around with those two for 3 days and never got either one to work. Tried the Vista 32-bit drivers and no luck. Think I'll just wait this Windows 7 thing out a little while and see if they come up with some new drivers. I can do without those 2 devices anyway. Sorry to get of subject, but just wanted to explain my question and we will move on from here. Thanks again!