Best Windows 7 Version for Me

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by tonynace, Dec 30, 2009.

1. tonynace

tonynace MDL Novice

Dec 30, 2009
    I plan on building a new system myself so I would need to buy a copy of Windows 7. I will probably go with the Professional version as this allows me to run some programs in XP mode which might come in handy. Does it also allow me to run programs in the 32 bit mode if I buy the 64 bit version? I was thinking of buying the OEM version of that as it is the cheapest. However, a page on this site claims that this version "is forever locked and bounded to the computer (motherboard) of which it’s installed." What happens if one's motherboard goes bad? Would one have to then buy a new copy?

2. sam3971

sam3971 MDL Guru

Nov 14, 2008
    X64 bit win7 will run most x32 bit apps in x32 mode automatically because of emulation so that is not an issue. I believe that OEM editions are bound to your pc's motherboard because of the activation method so I would fear that if your mobo dies that you will be in hot water dude. I personally use Pro, it is a good version in my opinion but I use retail. It's your choice to get OEM or not, personally I would go with retail because you can reactivate it on any mobo as long as you are still in your quota limit.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. tonynace

tonynace MDL Novice

Dec 30, 2009
    How about an upgrade version? Would I need to install the old OS on a new system before the upgrade or could I install it directly and then give the registration number for the old OS to activate the new one?

4. Rosco

Rosco MDL Addicted

Oct 29, 2007
    Here's what I would do :-

Buy the OEM version.

Burn a copy DVD from it.

Put it somewhere safe - or on display in case you get raided.

Install Ultimate without any key during install and use a good loader.

That way you have paid your dues but avoid all of M$ ridiculous limitations on the product they sell.

You can then always become 100% legit if necessary but still feel legal.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    personaly, check out the motherboard you have in mind then search forum see if there has been confirmed bios mod for slic 2.1 , if you are confident flash bios then download an MSDN copy of windows 7 . then install any version you want :D as i said if unsure use confirmed working modded bios and also please read on how to properly flash and recover. I also understand members saying you use loader it is safe and at end of day if they get knocked out you can always use your real serial key if you buy windows 7.

6. tonynace

tonynace MDL Novice

Dec 30, 2009
    #6 tonynace, Dec 31, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2009
    (OP)
    I have some questions here. It's been a while since I messed around with building a system or installing a mother board and that was with 98 and later XP. These limitations on the newer OSs are new to me. First off, why burn a copy of Windows 7? Can I even do that? Don't they have something on there that prevents copying? Do I need to buy the Ultimate instead of just the Professional version? Will it work without the key? I thought one needed that for updates etc? And what exactly is a loader?

Also from the next reply, what is slic 2.1? And what is an MSDN copy of Windows 7?

7. HotCarl

HotCarl MDL Addicted

Jul 21, 2009
    #7 HotCarl, Dec 31, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2017
  8. tonynace

tonynace MDL Novice

Dec 30, 2009
    #8 tonynace, Dec 31, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2017
    (OP)
  9. Rosco

Rosco MDL Addicted

Oct 29, 2007
    No ! - But it is working at the present. You need to use either a loader or flash your BIOS with the appropriate modified BIOS, install the correct digital certificate and install the key that matches the version of 7 you install.

The OEM method of "activating" windows started way back when Vista came out. It used the same method as for 7 except the SLIC version was 2 - 7 is 2.1.

So for three years to my knowledge M$ have not deactivated this method of "activating" Windows - they neutralised Paradox's "royal.sys", the Frankenbuilds and Timerstop but to my knowledge they haven't done anything else.

I am almost certain they will attack the "hack" solutions as these change their system files and M$ have always stated they attack pirates because the hacked systems are not reliable and they simply want customers to be sure their systems are secure.

As Vista was such a bad experience for M$ they need 7 to be a complete success so, as I see it, they are unlikely to attack the OEM "activation" methods used here for some time - if at all - they still haven't stopped Vista OEM activation workarounds.