Beta test Creative / Auzentech / Onkyo X-Fi drivers for Win10

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by daniel_k, Jan 20, 2021.

1. daniel_k

daniel_k MDL Member

Jan 21, 2019
    #1 daniel_k, Jan 20, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2021
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Mincemeat

Mincemeat MDL Novice

Apr 2, 2019
    Used ur drivers XFI_SupportPack_2_5.exe from creative forums way back when for X-Fi XtremeGamer Fatal1ty Pro until it died :) Thanks.

3. daniel_k

daniel_k MDL Member

Jan 21, 2019
    #3 daniel_k, Jan 22, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2021
    (OP)
    :D

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. daniel_k

daniel_k MDL Member

Jan 21, 2019
    Beta 3 pack uploaded, found the small code change from Creative to fix the Mixer issue on 1903 and later. :p
    Sadly, the settings not being saved issue cannot be fixed by me, as there are too many code changes. Other than that, everything should work just fine, specially OpenAL and ASIO, that are broken on the last 2019 drivers.

The Gigabyte driver, fortunately, it's as perfect as it can be, apart from missing VoiceFX feature, everything works and settings are properly saved.

5. dzem

dzem MDL Senior Member

Oct 15, 2015
    #5 dzem, Jan 23, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2021
    Hi Daniel,
    Thank you very much for what are you doing for all of us who have older creative cards. What is the purpose of this new drivers since previous also working fine. I have x-fi extreme music running on 20th2 and have no issue. Only CMSS 3D mode never worked with my card. Maybe is something with a card but it never worked with all these drivers in last couple of years.

6. daniel_k

daniel_k MDL Member

Jan 21, 2019
    @dzem

Hi, the latest drivers from 2019 do work fine, as long as you don't use ASIO or OpenAL. Otherwise the system hangs or crashes (ASIO) or sounds bad/wrong (OpenAL).

The beta drivers are just alternatives for those who use these features. ;)

Of course, for cards from Auzentech and Onkyo, this mean at least a usable driver, as it fixes the Mixer inputs/outputs.

7. dzem

dzem MDL Senior Member

Oct 15, 2015
    Thank you Daniel for answer. I do not have problems with asio. Using asio for all and have no issues about it. Does this new driver has some improvements in quality of sound?
    I am not sure if this is a right what i am going to say, but sound on xp was best in comparison to win10 or win8.

8. daniel_k

daniel_k MDL Member

Jan 21, 2019
    That explains why you don't have problems with your X-Fi.
    ASIO4ALL uses kernel streaming, a "generic way" to provide ASIO functionality to any device.

None of my modified drivers provide improved sound and there is no way to do it by modifying drivers.

There is one big difference on XP: it included a Wave device in Mixer with its own volume control, so setting it to the max would render the output louder.

On Vista and later, there is no Wave control, and it seems to be set to 50%, so "lower".

9. dzem

dzem MDL Senior Member

Oct 15, 2015
    Sorry if i am bothering you, but one more question. What does mean ' generic way' in your reply to asio4all? Does it do it's job as soundcard asio or it is just a 'mask' without real function?
    And why CMSS 3d mode do not work? Can it be a soundcard failure because all other software functions work.

10. ExtremelyFancyUsername

Oct 17, 2018
    Daniel doing god's work as usual!

11. daniel_k

daniel_k MDL Member

Jan 21, 2019
    Your X-Fi has a native ASIO driver. You should be using that. It is written specifically (optimized) for the card and automatically changes the sample rate before start playing back audio.
    ASIO4ALL is not native, it's a wrapper to Kernel Streaming, a workaround.

Regarding CMSS3D, when using ASIO (native or not), it bypasses most effects, but it varies from card to card.

ASIO is usually used for low latency playback/recording, don't see the need for it when just listening to music.

12. dzem

dzem MDL Senior Member

Oct 15, 2015
    Thank you for your valuable answer.