Big mistake in Softpedia!!!

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Tito, Feb 22, 2012.

1. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    Just take a look here. I just want to quote a snip from the article...

Then what is the point of this or this thread?? A simple system restore will do the trick... ;) :D

LOL!!! :rofl:

2. R29k

R29k MDL GLaDOS

Feb 13, 2011
    :eek:Do you think we could cash in on this, maybe a lawsuit for misinformation we could get millions sir :sneaky:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    LOL!!! :D :rofl6:

4. acyuta

acyuta MDL Expert

Mar 8, 2010
    Since both of you are on my friends list and are online, can I bug you for one thing.

For me, BIOS updates have so far gone well (sabertooth x58 desktop and dell xps laptop) and there has been no need to get a replacement so far. However, if I want to revert from say ver 6 bios to say earlier ver 5 bios, should I reflash the ver 5 bios and expect the bios to go back to ver 5. My understanding is that everything earlier in the BIOS is erased with a flash (higher or lower version no). Is this correct.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. venu

venu MDL Addicted

Oct 16, 2009
    Flash in pure DOS. Winphlash may throw up an error about current bios being newer.

6. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    They just have to delete the relation to BIOS. Anyway the 'advice' seems to me unprofessional. To boot into safe mode and to revert the driver seems the far better advice.

@acyuta: It are the flashtool's settings that might refuse to downgrade. When flashing the BIOS the previous one will be deleted any time you flash. Some tools overwrite the flash space with zero bytes before they flash the update. "zero block before erasing"

7. acyuta

acyuta MDL Expert

Mar 8, 2010
    Thanks for future reference.
    BIOS was flashed some months back. As of now there is no need to downgrade or even upgrade (no higher bios available).
    Desktop ASus sabertooth x58 was in DOS while dell xps 15 laptop was in windows (exe file which restarted, flashed and then restarted).
    The OEMs normally give up on updates after a while so maybe no BIOS updates in the future.