Big problem with booting Windows Server 2008 R2

Discussion in 'Windows Server' started by crus, Aug 28, 2009.

1. crus

crus MDL Novice

Feb 17, 2009
    Hi all,

for a few days i installed the new Windows Server 2008 R2 on my machine.

Today I tried to backup my new installation with acronis. But it seems that acronis can not handle the created partitions from the windows server setup.

So I did not any changes or backups and only wanted to restart my server...

But now my Server is no more starting up!!!

ERROR:
    "Windows Boot Manager
    Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause. To fix the problem:
    1. Insert your windows installation disc and restart your computer.
    2. Choose your language settings and click "Next."
    3. Click "repair your computer."#

Info: The boot selection failed because a required device is inaccessible"

I already tried to use the "repair my computer" option from the installation dvd but it does not show me the installed opperating system in list... (driver is added)

Does anyone have an idea what i can do?

Best regards,
    Crus

2. mc_gregor

mc_gregor MDL Novice

Aug 2, 2009
    Hi Crus,

Acronis change something in the ID of primary partition with the BCD i don't know why but try this :
    In WinRE try this command :

bootrec / fixmbr
    bootrec /fixboot
    Bootrec /rebuildbcd

mc_gregor

3. crus

crus MDL Novice

Feb 17, 2009
    Hi mc_gregor,

thanks for your answer.
    That is exactly what I am trying at the moment, but if I try to open WinRE (I think with 'WinRE' you mean the recovery console on the installation-dvd?) it does not show me the installed operating system in the list.
    If I try to add the driver for my onboard-raid-controller I get an error. But normally this driver is since the R2 installation-dvd no more needed. (driver is included)

Any ideas why this installation is not listed?
    I made an Software Raid (mirror) but that should not block anything!

4. OleBent

OleBent MDL Member

Aug 22, 2007
    Hi

Perhaps a long shot but had a similar set of symptoms from a system I worked on the other day.

Turned out to be drive letters from partitions got changed. C: -> D: and vice versa...

Booted a CD with DIsk Director server 10.0.2169 and changed the drive letters back to original order.

Booted instantly after that.

No clue whether its the same issue you are experiencing but the symptoms are very much alike also with no install showing up in recovery.

5. crus

crus MDL Novice

Feb 17, 2009
    Hello OleBent,

thanks for your answer.
    But for me this does not help. Because no version of Acronis Disk director can handle dynamic discs ;-D

Any other ideas?
    Or do I really have to completely reinstall the server? :(

Best regards,
    Crus

6. OleBent

OleBent MDL Member

Aug 22, 2007
    #6 OleBent, Aug 29, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2009
    Sorry overlooked the dynamic disk part of it.....

I perfectly recall now the fact that so few utilities being able to handle dynamic disks being the reason why I stopped using dynamic disk some years back.
    Always gave me such headaches when having to recover, resize and other jobs. )

As I wrote this... another quick thought....
    IF the issue actually IS related to drive/partition letters being switched round....

Could it be possible with bcdedit from recovery to point the bootloader at different partitions....

Hmmm....

Will give it some more thought and hopefully come up with something usefull....

A little more detailed info on your disk/partition setup might give a better view of possible options.

Which version/rev of True Image did you use? I have noticed here that 9.7.8353 is blocked from starting within OS on a server 08 updated to R2 here...
    Perhaps I will try do a backup and restore using my PE3 TI USB stick of that install later to see if this one also goes bad... :)
    Of coourse that system doesnt have the 100Meg system partition which might make a diff.
    Better learn it here @ home than out in the field ;)

7. crus

crus MDL Novice

Feb 17, 2009
    Thanks for your interest in my problem.

I think my disk configuration is not very complicated.
    Just a raid1 (software raid) with the on-board tools from w2k8 r2.

2 x WD 1 TB (dynamic, mirrored)

At the moment i can´t give you the exact version number from my True Image program.

But what I can´t understand is that a Backup&Recovery Software is changing something at my partitions. The only thing what such software should do is an backup and not changing something or I am so wrong? :)

Mhh... I am working now nearly half a day on this problem and now I am thinking over an re-installation! Because I think a complete re-installation will also cost me half a day.
    At the moment I did a backup from my data with the program 'GetDataBack'.

But the configuration from the server will cost me again many, many time ^^. Specially the download from all the WSUS Updates!
    I also did an backup of the files in the WSUS Folder, but I think that I cannot import these in my new installation?

Best regards,
    Crus

8. HSChronic

HSChronic MDL Expert

Aug 25, 2007
    #8 HSChronic, Aug 29, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2009
    it is because they are dynamic disks, there is nothing you can do now. Don't use acronis on Dynamic disks, the only acronis product that supports Dynamic disks is the high end server versions. If you need to backup something with Dynamic disks you should look into an Enterprise level backup solution like SCDPM or Veritas BackupExec. SCCM also supports creating images of dynamic disks too.

As far as your WSUS folder, as long as the database is fine then you are good to go with just dropping the folder back in there and it will see what updates are downloaded and not redownload them.

9. crus

crus MDL Novice

Feb 17, 2009
    Hi all,

thanks for all tips.
    I got my server to starting up again.

But now I got an other error::(
    The Virtual Disk Service (Disk management) is not longer working!!!
    If I try to start the service manually I get the following error:

Windows could not start the Virtual Disk service on local Computer.
    Error 1053: The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion.

Any ideas on this?

10. t0mn8r

t0mn8r MDL Junior Member

Aug 21, 2009
    Sorry to hear about your problems.....

Once the drives have changed from the "original" installation (i.e. your initial install) the Disk Management can't read the disk signatures anymore.

My advice: reinstall before you get too far into the installation and avoid dynamic disks. In my experience (30 years...) the only viable recoverable disk configurations are hardware raid (expensive) or (as mentioned in the other post) high end (server) software backup tools.

HTH

11. crus

crus MDL Novice

Feb 17, 2009
    Hello t0mn8r,

thanks for your answer.
    That is what I started a few minutes ago. I realised that I need to many time to fix the problem so my decision was a completely new installation.

I know that you normally should avoid dynamic disks and software raids. But the manufacturer from my mainboard still have problems with the onboard-raid controller. (massive speed problems 10MB/s)

So at the moment I do not have any choice!
    But the work-area for this server is only a small Home-Office and for this environment it should be ok!

Thanks for your opinion.

Best regards,
    Crus

12. OleBent

OleBent MDL Member

Aug 22, 2007
    Hi crus

Good to hear you got it up and running after all.....
    Always a pleasure beating the odds with a crashed system.
    Could you please share how you did that? Might help somebody....

I must however agree to your decision about doing a reinstall.
    When data is saved form the drives it is the best solution after all. Especially from your description of it being a home setup.

13. bbenjt

bbenjt MDL Novice

Aug 24, 2009
    Hi guys,
    Just enquiring, anyone manage to install Windows 2008 running Supermicro mainboards? I have one X7DAL-E+ and after a while it gives me BOSD. Any idea how to troublshoot? :mad: Thanks. :confused:

14. edin2583

edin2583 MDL Novice

May 27, 2010
    Since you solved this problem??