Big problem with my laptop's screen

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Fusion, Jun 13, 2010.

1. Fusion

Fusion MDL Novice

Nov 29, 2009
  2. Stannieman

Stannieman MDL Guru

Sep 4, 2009
    Could be something with your videocard, I'd try to connect another screen to your laptop and put your desktop on that one. If it is still there then it's your videocard, otherwise it's your screen.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. marcusj0015

marcusj0015 MDL Junior Member

Oct 30, 2009
    that looks like something is wrong with windows system files try running sfc/ scannow

and see if it fisxes it

then try downloading an updated driver for windows 7

4. Fusion

Fusion MDL Novice

Nov 29, 2009
    Pff I've connected the laptop to my TV and it works fine (I duplicate the work on the laptop's screen and the TV's and on the laptop's screen the problem exists but on the TV it has disappeared...) So it's hardware problem, what can I do now?

5. fdjc

fdjc MDL Member

Feb 27, 2010
    Still under warranty?

Its either screen, GPU, or the connection from the screen to the mobo. Possibly overheating hmm
    Does it do it randomly or right now is it still doing it?

6. marcusj0015

marcusj0015 MDL Junior Member

Oct 30, 2009
    its obvisouly the screen becaue his grapics card works for external buy a replacement

how long havve u had it???

7. Fusion

Fusion MDL Novice

Nov 29, 2009
    The laptop is still under warranty and I have it for 1 year. Recently I've cleaned the fan so it can't be overheating, I guess. What else can it be? Anyway I am going to take to a technical service tomorrow.

8. Fusion

Fusion MDL Novice

Nov 29, 2009
    WTF?! My laptop fixed itself somehow?! I just closed the lid then opened it up and the problem disappeared?!?!!?!? Lol i've restarted the laptop several times and it haven't worked.... LOL :D I can't believe it :D

9. bluealien

bluealien MDL Member

Mar 2, 2010
    Most probably it's a loose flat ribbon cable that connects to the LCD. Opening and closing the lid causes some movement or a slight tug which may have affected the connection.

10. Stannieman

Stannieman MDL Guru

Sep 4, 2009
    Probably something wih the monitor cable then. So beware of the fact that if the cable broke inside it will only get worse after a time.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  11. fdjc

fdjc MDL Member

Feb 27, 2010
    Definitely worn ribbon cable or its connection to the mobo or screen

12. Fusion

Fusion MDL Novice

Nov 29, 2009
    So from now on I'll be more careful with the lid

13. fdjc

fdjc MDL Member

Feb 27, 2010
    You said it was still under warranty man, id get it repaired now that you can free of charge.

14. xrdguy

xrdguy MDL Novice

Feb 17, 2010
    there must be some connectivity issue between your mother board and screen. Its good that it is fixed now.. LOL

15. Smorgan

Smorgan Glitcher

Mar 25, 2010
    Dude thats not good that it fixed itself because that means that even with the slightest jiggle the ribbon cable could come loose in which case you won't get any display at with maybe the message that nothing is connected....
    Take that laptop to technical support cause it will probably have problems in the future either way....

16. kubato

kubato MDL Member

Jul 29, 2009
    It is your screen or the connection for your screen to your laptop. If your video card was bad then it would also be bad when you plug it into an external LCD or TV. If you open your screen or have opened and cleaned your laptop, then you most likely pulled the connector for your screen out of your motherboard. It works because it is not completely pulled out.
    Did this start after you cleaned you laptop? If so then pull your keyboard out and check the LCD connector to your motherboard or Video card. Make sure you know how to work the connectors so you do not break them.

17. bluealien

bluealien MDL Member

Mar 2, 2010
    smorgan is right and others. The problem will be intermittent and it is best to take advantage of the manufacturer's warranty service. The flat ribbon cable is situated both beneath the keyboard and behind the LCD screen which is quite a task to dismantle if you are not familiar with the procedure. The connector and the ribbon contacts are impossibly thin and can easily be damaged if you attempt to clean the contacts yourself. Most of the oem brands, like dell, hp, acer, etc have very fragile lcd panel frames and hidden screws and retention clips that are made of plastic... prying it open without the proper tools will cause scratches and nicks that will ruin the aesthetics of your laptop. Please consider sending it to the manufacturer while it is still under warranty.

18. Matty Lowe

Matty Lowe MDL Novice

Dec 13, 2009
    I had a similar problem and had to use the Toshiba XP driver for my video card.

19. WinFLP

WinFLP MDL Senior Member

Nov 18, 2009
    Most likely the cable or connector.

I had a friend that had similar display problems on their laptop. In a fit of rage they grabbed the screen and shook it. Which actually made it (temporarily) go away, as it was a loose connection.

nVidia also sold millions of s**tty GPUs (and motherboard chipsets) with a defective piece of f**king s**t packaging job which could show similar effects if it was imminently about to fail like all the other ones nVidia claims aren't failing. Instead they are content to let end users sit there with unusable, worthless laptops while OEMs release BIOS updates that cause the fan to run at full bore in attempt to decrease failure rates.