Bios chip danger

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by spacednow, May 11, 2010.

1. spacednow

spacednow MDL Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Once the computer is booted, would it be possible to pop the bios chip out? I don't think it would, but I'm not sure. If possible, then I could pop another chip (with a bad flash) in and reflash it from windows. Probably not possible, but just asking..............

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
  3. spacednow

spacednow MDL Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Thanks so much. I'll give this a try on my next day off. Completely borked my bios trying to use hex editor to mod bios date. Won't even power up the processor fan. Edit- +1

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. mds

mds MDL Novice

Dec 6, 2008
    I have a question too, along the same lines, i know how to hotswap have done so in the past using a chips from the same mobo, would it be possible to boot to dos with an asus board, rip the chip out, pop in a corrupt chip from an abit board and force flash the bios witth the abit bios then swap the chips out again, currently dont have a board to try else wouldnt be asking but do have a half dead abit board :)

Thanks in advance

Edit :- ok, i didnt read the quote posted by urie, question answered.