Bios file size bigger than chip

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by rallisf1, Mar 22, 2013.

1. rallisf1

rallisf1 MDL Novice

Mar 22, 2013
    Hey folks,

I run a computer store and recently got myself an eeprom programmer to solve bios issues.

I am facing a problem with only a few bios images (mainly phoenix and insyde) which happen to be a few kilobytes bigger than the flash-rom capacity. I am not talking about the .exe or .zip files i download but for the extracted .wph and .fd files.

I tried flashing the file to a bigger chip but that was a no-go for the laptop (i am trying on a lenovo ideapad S10-3 right now). I also tried overburning the original chip without success, so i suspect there is some "rubbish" in the downloaded files that i need to delete through a hex editor or maybe the phoenix bios editor but i'm clueless about which part and how to delete it.

I'd appreciate some help on this. :bangin:

2. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
  3. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
  4. rallisf1

rallisf1 MDL Novice

Mar 22, 2013
    @Tito thanks for the link it was really helpfull

@LatinMcG i am currently trying with FL5D. The laptop died after flashing the latest bios through windows so i guessed making a backup wouldn't help but now i think i was wrong about that.

Anyway, the bios file has many blank lines (FF FF FF) but by deleting any or even all of them makes the file unreadable by phoenix bios editor. I tried then cutting the beggining of the file at random points and seems to be ok when cutting the first 20k offset but i will try flashing tomorrow morning as i need to go now.

Thanks everyone for your help i will post back when i have news.

P.S. in most other forums bios editing and other "high-tech" stuff are like government secrets and rarely anyone helps in such cases like mine. I'm really glad you are not one of those; i'll soon post some guides from personal experience on hardware flashing eeproms to contribute to this forum.

5. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    Don't use PBE. It is buggy as hell and doesn't support modern Phoenix bios.

6. rallisf1

rallisf1 MDL Novice

Mar 22, 2013
    Still trying with this lenovo among other tasks. I read in some post people used some Andy's tool to extract bios bin file from wph and fd files but i cannot find this function anywhere. I have downloaded "PhoenixTool" made by Andyp as this was all i could find but there is no extract function in it. Do i need another tool or am i still missing something?

7. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009