BIOS Firmware for Samsung Tablet

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by StormStrikes, Mar 21, 2013.

1. StormStrikes

StormStrikes MDL Novice

Mar 21, 2013
    I hope I am posting this in the correct place. If not, please forgive me.

I recently bought a Samsung Series 7 Tablet PC. I could give you the long sob story of how I got here, but the shorter version is that I updated the BIOS with what I thought was a newer version going from the 04FW to a version of 05JW. Little did I know that it would completely remove the ability to boot to USB. The only other option for booting I have, based on the BIOS, is network, which of course is useless for booting to an external CD/DVD driver or USB thumb drive.

So in searching for some means to either forcefully revert to an older verions of the BIOS or find a newer version I ended up here.

What I am hoping is that someone else here has a newer version that can be sent to me or linked to. I found a version that is supposed to be 08FW, but when I tried to install it, it said my 05JW was newer and would not install, which seems odd if the numbering convention is any indication.

In trying to search this out for the last few days I believe the newest version is either at 10FW or 12FW, depending one where you get the information from. Samsungs BIOS Update utility is broken. The website it is looking to for the BIOS files is not working and has been the case for quite some time based on other material I have read.

So, now that you have read all this, does anyone have the updated firmware that is in the original .exe format so that I can install it. Or is there some way that I can forcefully install the 08FW version. I really dont want to brick this device, though I realize its a risk tinkering around with the BIOS.

If anyone could help out I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

2. StormStrikes

StormStrikes MDL Novice

Mar 21, 2013
    DUDE!!! I could just about kiss you for that. Thank you sooooo much for that link.

However, there is bad news. When I tried to install that I got the error message:

The BIOS/MICOM model to be updated is different.
    Check the program
    Current Model (BIOS Part Number): 700T(17E)
    New Model (BIOS Part Number): 700T(170)

I dont know how easily that could be modified, hacked, changed or any other means to make it work. Ive been trying to figure out the naming convention for the files so I could download other

I was able to download ITEM_20111222_359_WIN_06FW, but it wont work because it sees my BIOS as being newer. As mentioned earlier I got what I think is the 08FW but its not in the same naming convention because I changed it so it was just the firmware version, dropping the item and the subsequent numbers, etc.

Are there any relatively easy options at this point? Im not afraid to poke around things, tinker with them, etc., but I have never done so with the BIOS and I dont want to brick the thing.

Anyway, Serg008, thank you so much for that link. I was super excited it was going to work, and I suppose it still could, I just dont know how to proceed from here.

3. StormStrikes

StormStrikes MDL Novice

Mar 21, 2013
    Serg, if I could get to the Ukraine, Id buy you a beer.

Yes, the original BIOS when I got the product (I bought it used) was 04FW. The BIOS I flashed as an update, which now is increasingly looking like it was not intended for this device, was version 05WJ.

I downloaded find_gz and opened the Micomm Update Tool and it confirms that the current micomm version is 05WJV034. So now I am trying to read information, find procedures, etc on how to relatively safely downgrade this BIOS back to 04FW.

4. StormStrikes

StormStrikes MDL Novice

Mar 21, 2013
    Okay, so I have been trying to get this done for the last couple of days. I unpacked the .exe file with find_gz. I have no .bin file for the MICOM update and that may well be part of the issue.

I downloaded AFUWIN GUI from AMI as I was unable to get AFUWIN, that was extracted when find_gz was used. It kept telling me that it could not run the command that I was running:

afuwin 04fwb.rom /P /B /N /C /E /K /Q /REBOOT

So I tried the AFUWIN GUI v3.04.01 and loaded the 04fwb ROM file. I set it to program all blocks and to reboot afterwards. It does a read first and after completing a read of my current bios it gives me an error:

4 - Error: ROM file ROMID is not compatible with exisiting ROM ROMID

There are two options for AFUWIN GUI, Do Not Check ROM ID & Check EC Version. Should I check one or both of those? It would seem logical to turn off the Check ROM ID option but I want to be sure that is what I should do. The Check EC Version would almost seem manditory since it would force an update even when a newer BIOS is detected. I just want to be sure before I take that step.

Serg, if you are still willing to lend your knowledge to the situation I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you for all the information and help you have provided thus far.