BIOS Flashing

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by vietlapine, Jun 30, 2009.

1. vietlapine

vietlapine MDL Novice

Jun 11, 2008
    Hello,

Have been reading this forum for a while but haven't posted much since my lack of advance knowledge has kept from from fully contributing.

I'm thinking about flashing my BIOS on my HP dv9429us laptop to the latest one. I'm sure it still has SLIC 2.0 since the BIOS was posted early 2009.

I know about the precautions such as keeping power plug in, no other programs running and keeping processes to a minimum etc..

My question is that is it safer to flash in a Windows environment or I should make a bootable floppy or usb drive using the "BIOS recovery procedures", drop in my BIOS.WPH file and flash from a pre-Windows environment?
    Not happy that HP doesn't provide documentation to recover from a bad flash but I have to seek it out from forums.

Once Win 7 SLP keys and certs have been release, I can send my BIOS.WPH, the modders here can simple add in the necessary information, then I plop it back in to replace the older BIO.WPH and flash. Activate and report back. Is that correct way of doing things??

Thank you for all your help.

2. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
  3. vietlapine

vietlapine MDL Novice

Jun 11, 2008
    I know I have SLIC 2.0 b/c HP wouldn't just randomly give SLIC 2.1 for an BIOs update in early 2009 and I have reinstalled a fresh copy of Vista HP using OEM Keys and certs.

I just want to know if I were to upgrade my BIOs to the newest one HP has, what is the preferred method?

Flash in Windows using what programs HP provides or build a bootable disc following in the procedure in BIOS recovery and drop my new BIOS.WPH in it and do the flash in a pre-Windows environment.

Are there any precautions besides those I've listed in the 1st post for flashing in a Pre-Windows environment?

Thank you.

4. SirSilentBob

SirSilentBob MDL Senior Member

Jun 5, 2009
    Check the forum Urie suggested. Safest way to flash is ALWAYS from dos. Either with a bootdisk, or if you don't have a floppy drive or your bios is a large one like mine (4Mb) and won't fit on a floppy then format a USB flash drive to be bootable and do it from there.