BIOS help

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by NEWKID, May 28, 2014.

1. NEWKID

NEWKID MDL Novice

May 28, 2014
    So I want to access Advanced Tab in my BIOS but Sony VAIO VPCEB3C5E doesn't show that, I have my BIOS by American Megatrends Inc, R1140Y8 - I figured out I have to mod it, to set access to everything as user, I made a USB MS DOS bootable drive and tried to use AFUDOS to flash my modified BIOS but it said ERROR Bios is write protected.

How do I get myself an Advanced Tab in BIOS? How do I flash my modded BIOS? How do I bypass the write protected message? I have researched a lot but I don't really understand anything, so I conclude very willy nilly I don't know what I am doing and need help, lol, also I don't know what SLIC is? Its purpose etc, nor do I understand what UEFI is or its meaning in comparison to BIOS. I just want to change stuff in bios so I can upgrade the RAM to 8GB lol

I understand I have to do something with SLIC and set bios access to USER and flash the rom but it just won't work?!

Also if you need the rom its 2nd link on google "R1140Y8"

Someone teach me something, please!:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::bye2::(

2. donovan6000

donovan6000 MDL Novice

Dec 29, 2010
    SLIC is the software licensing description table. I think all SLIC versions before 3.0 were non-unique, so one of these type of SLIC tables could be injected into the bios rom and could be used to activate Windows. However newer SLIC tables are unique so that they only work on one computer. This is why SLIC mods are pretty much useless unless you want to stay on Windows 7 or one of it's predecessors since those versions of Windows used SLIC versions prior to 3.0.

UEFI is the unified extensible firmware interface. EFI/UEFI are just standardized replacements to bios. Most modern computers have UEFI, however it's still pretty common to refer to EFI/UEFI as bios. AMI's version of UEFI is called Aptio, which is what your probably using.

I really doubt that there's an option in your bios that will allow you to upgrade your ram. I've never heard of manufactueres using software to prevent ram upgrades. It's usually limitations in the hardware that put a cap on the amoount of ram that can be used.

3. NEWKID

NEWKID MDL Novice

May 28, 2014
    Thank you very much!

I figured out I have AMI Aptio and I learnt how to flash my bios and did it successfully, what I did was read the bios then edit it in AMIBCP changing all access variables to USER. and flashed that over the whole bios (i.e. afudos biosname.exe /K /P /B /N /C etc)

The option I want is similar to what I've seen on other bios' such as UI TWEAKER or EXTREME TWEAKER /whatever is similarly available for my bios

Whilst changing the variables to USER I saw under Chipset>Northbridge the variables I want to change to allow my RAM upgrade..
    that being said what I mean is (dramfrequency, mhz, clock timings and whatever else), I enabled them all and clicked show and changed access to user although once I had flashed it I noticed the whole TAB "Advanced" wouldn't be in F2 bios menu (do note, AMIBCP has two "Advanced" tabs one shows, and one doesn't) the RAM I want to install is 2 x 4GB Corsair 1600mhz PC3-12800 CL9 204pin 1.5mhz, I currently have 2 x 2GB 1333mhz PC3-10666

When I install the RAM the computer shows Starting Windows then turns off and turns on Windows Repair and while loading windows repair turns off again etc etc in a sort of boot loop. When I put the old RAM back in computer works fine, but when I mix or put one by one, boot loop.
    If I install the new ram and click F2 the RAM shows in bios as 8GB, mixed 6GB and original as 4GB.

The RAM is supposed to have an XMP, I noticed my bios had XMP disabled and profile set to XMP 0 which I enabled and changed to XMP 1 and reflashed but I encountered the same problem when tried to use the new RAM.

I'm sure I am missing something, but I'll probably just return the RAM. I can't seem to access that bios page to set dramfreq etc which might make it work

I read in the AMIBCP pdf that the setup configuration tab would not show if the pages are bigger than 0x100 but I have no idea what that means and if they are talking about the tab in Aptio bios or just in the AMIBCP to edit it

Tell me if I haven't been clear enough,
    Also thanks!

4. NEWKID

NEWKID MDL Novice

May 28, 2014
    Also if anyone is curious about the American Megatrends Inc. BIOS flash error "Error can't flash BIOS is write protected" it's probably because you're using the afudos.exe for non Aptio AMI boards, It worked when I used the Aptio AMIFLASH "afudos.exe"

Just in case lol I was in circle trying to google and figure that one out ;):worthy:

5. NEWKID

NEWKID MDL Novice

May 28, 2014
    I was highly successful up to the point he deciphered the byte sequence of setup.bin in IDA -(I googled IDA and downloaded it and searched for all kinds of values but it didn't work out/I done it wrong)

Would it be possible that I could just upload my 1) old bios, 2) current bios I edited in AMIBCP to allow access to USERS, and the setup.bin setup_whole.fbd (.fbd because .bin didnt work when extracting) and so someone with the knowledge could help me and upload the unlocked menus

p.s. - Can't upload .rom so I did everything else (1mb rule)

Also wouldn't the tutorial become null/void as I have used AMIBCP to set menu's to user?

I'll upload the files anyway..

Thank you for your help

Attached Files: