BIOS is now flashed with SLIC 2.1...now what? The preferred method of activation?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by doctord, Jul 7, 2010.

1. doctord

doctord MDL Novice

Jun 30, 2010
    Should I use Daz's loader to install the serial and cert?

Or is there a preferable way?

Sorry if this is a newbie question, I'm still coming down from the near heart-attack I had hoping that my motherboard wouldn't be bricked from the flashing. :p

2. Calistoga

Calistoga MDL Senior Member

Jul 25, 2009
    You can install the certificate and key manually if you want, with slmgr -ilc <PATH_TO_CERT> and slmgr -ipk <PRODUCT_KEY>.

Or you could go the easy route as you suggested, install everything via the Daz Loader. "Install certificate and serial" is the way to go then.

Both these methods works equally well, and will produce the exact same result.

And congratulations on a successfully flashed mobo ;)

3. timesurfer

timesurfer MDL Developer

Nov 22, 2009
    #3 timesurfer, Jul 7, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 29, 2017
  4. doctord

doctord MDL Novice

Jun 30, 2010
    Thanks guys, and thanks to everyone here at the forums. I couldn't have done this without all the helpful information you have all posted.

5. doctord

doctord MDL Novice

Jun 30, 2010
    One more quick question:

From what I understand, the BIOS mod method is pretty much bulletproof, correct?

Is it possible/likely that Microsoft will somehow put a stop to this method down the road in the form of an update?

Thanks for the input.

6. Calistoga

Calistoga MDL Senior Member

Jul 25, 2009
    A BIOS mod is very, very safe. With a proper mod you should be good forever, at least that's how it looks like now.

The loader however, is also pretty safe. Daz has implemented features like SLIC encryption and file size randomization which makes the loader hard to target by automated tools. Summed up, using a loader you will probably be just fine. Using a BIOS mod you will definitely be just fine, you just have to take the risk of flashing the mod.

Since you're modded, you should fear nothing. If the mod is ever blocked, MDL will find a way around.

;)

7. doctord

doctord MDL Novice

Jun 30, 2010
    Thanks a million guys. You've provided great help and peace of mind.

8. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    Has everyone forgotten OEM SLP DVD is preferred method with SLIC in bios especially with companies :biggrin: Just install and your activated.

9. Matrix Leader

Matrix Leader MDL Addicted

Dec 8, 2009
    I personally prefere teh manual way of activation through DOS slmgr.vbs -ilc c:\cert

never had a problem and I can do it in 10 secs ;)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. killercat

killercat MDL Member

May 28, 2010
    #10 killercat, Jul 9, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 29, 2017
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  11. sam3971

sam3971 MDL Guru

Nov 14, 2008
  12. allbula

allbula MDL Novice

Mar 10, 2010
    Is there any reason to install or not to install KB971033 if you have the D*** slic bios? Could it be mandatory for any real future updates or service packs, or should I just hide that one? I've been putting off deciding on that one all this time.

13. timesurfer

timesurfer MDL Developer

Nov 22, 2009
    The only reason to install it is sometimes you have to validate online which in essence is installing WAT. I'd just hide it. I think WAT might be required for installation of MSE and XP mode so maybe with SP1 you might have in on your machine. IF you have slic 2.1 I wouldn't worry about WAT