BIOS Mod flagged as not genuine

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by sunfish, Aug 22, 2011.

1. sunfish

sunfish MDL Junior Member

Jun 10, 2007
    During the madness of trying to install OSX Lion to dual boot alongside windows 7, I restored the original un-modded bios and I think that caused windows 7 to be deactivated. Now I can't get it to activate with the known working modded bios. Reinserting OEM cert/key and running WGA online doesn't help. Any surgical fix to avoid reinstalling windows 7 again?

2. LQQL

LQQL MDL Addicted

Apr 21, 2009
    How about using Daz's Windows Loader?

3. lucid

lucid MDL Novice

Aug 10, 2009
    Not sure whether this will help but had a dell that had a genuine w7 OEM activated via SLIC 2.1.
    They replaced the faulty MB and windows de activated, then realised the replacement MB had an older BIOS that only had SLIC 2.0, so re flashed with latest BIOS from Dell that was 2.1, and still not activated. But it was as simple as clicking activate windows from taskbar or start menu prompt, didn't need to run WGA or go online, then it activated again.

4. 60cent

60cent MDL Senior Member

May 31, 2011
    Have you tried removewat?
    Run sfc /scannow

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    First thing you need to do is download slic dump toolkit and check you have slic 2.1 in bios and that you are installing correct certificate.

6. sunfish

sunfish MDL Junior Member

Jun 10, 2007
    Oh well, I gave up after fiddling around for half an hour and went ahead with reinstalling windows 7.
    Basically windows 7 gets activated in "initial 30-day grace period" mode but not in "not genuine" mode.