BIOS mod - What for?

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Glen, Aug 21, 2007.

1. Glen

Glen MDL Novice

Jun 27, 2007
    I am new to this forum. I am curious to know what the purpose of modifying BIOS is. It appears to have something to do with Windows activation. Could anyone enlighten me about it?

2. zzdiesel

zzdiesel MDL Member

May 20, 2007
    Yes, it activates Vista locally on your computer without contacting Micro$haft

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. ancestor(v)

ancestor(v) Admin
    Staff Member

Jun 26, 2007
    #3 ancestor(v), Aug 21, 2007
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2007
    If you have got AOL on your computer and the 90 hours of free internet expired, you mod your BIOS to toggle AOL providing you free internet forever.

AOL is another name for something we don't talk about in these cohesions ;)

named vista.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Glen

Glen MDL Novice

Jun 27, 2007
    #4 Glen, Aug 22, 2007
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2007
    (OP)
    Thanks to all for your responses.
    There are two different kind of OEM version of AOL: One which comes preinstalled and another which can be obtained alone. Is the BIOS mod related to both of these?

5. ancestor(v)

ancestor(v) Admin
    Staff Member

Jun 26, 2007
    The preinstalled usually is already actived, you paid for the activation by buying a computer with the preinstalled one.

The version which is to be "obtained": If you bought it, you paid it. Same-same. So what...

Bios modding doesn't make a difference there. Usually you download AOL or get a free cd and then mod your bios.

6. Glen

Glen MDL Novice

Jun 27, 2007
    It appears that what I need to know is how the BIOS is involed in the process of activation. Further assistance is appreciated.