Bios Mod.

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by wyrman, Nov 2, 2009.

1. wyrman

wyrman MDL Member

Nov 21, 2007
    Ok I've used Andyps' appz 1.41. I put my Asus bios in the program (the bios that is loaded as of now 1104) and selected Asus slic and cert. Went thru the whole deal and came out with "Success". I see there are two new bios in the folder now.
    One is "1B.BIN" and the other is "1B_SLIC.BIN". What do I do next. Do I load the the "Asus_P5K-SE_ver_1104_SLIC21-HP" bios file or one of these two new ones?

2. Phazor

Phazor MDL Expert

Sep 1, 2009
    #2 Phazor, Nov 2, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2009
    There is one file that has the same name as the original BIOS plus a _SLIC addendum.

(Ex: MYBIOS.org becomes MYBIOS_SLIC.org)

MYBIOS_SLIC is what you flash, the others are temp files and can be deleted.

EDIT: Wait a sec, before i tell you something wrong, exactly what tool did you use?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Everilda

Everilda MDL Senior Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Is this file 'Asus_P5K-SE_ver_1104_SLIC21-HP' a '.ROM' file and the same size as your original bios file (1024kb)?

If yes then this is your modified slic 2.1 bios file.

The two bin files are probably smaller in size than the ROM bios files and I think are just modules (parts of the bios file).

4. wyrman

wyrman MDL Member

Nov 21, 2007
    The original bios file is "P5K-SE-1104.ROM". The modded file that I downloaded awhile ago from the modded bios thread is
    "P5K-SE-1104_SLIC.ROM". I see 2 more smaller files in the same folder that were created with AMI SLIC MOD 1.41

5. wyrman

wyrman MDL Member

Nov 21, 2007
    I was wondering what the 2 files were for that Andyps' appz created.

6. Phazor

Phazor MDL Expert

Sep 1, 2009
    Thats the one then. The two bins can be deleted.

Temp files.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. wyrman

wyrman MDL Member

Nov 21, 2007
    Thanks. I was going to flash this bios with the Asus utility in the bios. I guess this should be ok as that's how I've always upgraded the bios in the past. Any thoughts on that?

8. wyrman

wyrman MDL Member

Nov 21, 2007
    What is Andyps' tool really for then?

9. Phazor

Phazor MDL Expert

Sep 1, 2009
    Well it took your original BIOS, inserted the SLIC, and created a modified copy.

(The one with the _SLIC addendum.)

As for how reliable that ASUS built-in tool is, i honestly dont know. I always use a bootable disk or stick because i like to do this stuff via properly configured batchfiles. (So i can select my own switches.)

10. wyrman

wyrman MDL Member

Nov 21, 2007
    K. Should I be using certain switches for this to work correctly?

11. Technoboots

Technoboots MDL Novice

Sep 3, 2009
    I've used the Asus update tool quite a few times, even used it to downgrade my BIOS. It definately works with SLIC modded BIOS's, reads them the same as the unmodded one. You shouldn't have any problem with it but it's always good to be safe.

12. Everilda

Everilda MDL Senior Member

Jun 28, 2009
    I have successfully used the built in bios flashers Ezflash (Asus) and Qflash (Gigabyte) and load the bios file from a USB stick, but the recommendation of the experts in this forum is to flash from Dos.

Andy's AMI and Award tools are excellent pieces of programming and are continually being improved.

13. wyrman

wyrman MDL Member

Nov 21, 2007
    Well here's the deal. uninstalled the loader and rebooted. Flashed the bios with slic 2.1. Used Slic Dump Toolkit and it says slic 2.1 is there. I used Daz's loader to install cert. Said all was good. Did a reboot and I've got a water mark saying "This copy is not genuine" What's with that?

14. iNO12

iNO12 MDL Member

Jul 27, 2009
    #14 iNO12, Nov 2, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2017
  15. wyrman

wyrman MDL Member

Nov 21, 2007
    The bios I flashed was HP. I used Dazs' loader and used a Asus cert and an Acer key. Is this wrong?

16. Phazor

Phazor MDL Expert

Sep 1, 2009
    If the SLIC is HP then the cert must be HP too.

(Have to be a matching pair.)

With keys it is not so. You can use any one as long as it is for the edition youre using...

17. wyrman

wyrman MDL Member

Nov 21, 2007
    Well another happy camper. I put the HP cert in with Daz's loader and a Acer key. All seems to be good. In System it says it's activated. Any other way to check. Oh thanks a bunch for all of the help. Oh I did use EZFlash in the bios and it worked fine.