BIOS modded Win7 Validated but not Activated after windows update

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by steiner666, Nov 8, 2010.

1. steiner666

steiner666 MDL Novice

Jul 19, 2009
    #1 steiner666, Nov 8, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2010
    A problem occurred when windows tried to activate. error code 0xc004e003

Ok, so i reinstalled win7 yesterday after a year+ of running it validated with no problems. I think i used the old lenovo blacklisted key yesterday because i woke up today to a black desktop and messages about it not being valid.

So i've been lookinga round and i use the slmgr.vbs -upk, then -ipk another key in, validated through the MS website and it says its genuine now, but it still lists it as having 30 days left to activate when i right-click my computer and hit properties, down at the bottom. I click on activate now and it says the key isnt valid or whatever and gives me option to put a key in, so i put a key in, any key, and i get:

"A problem occurred when windows tried to activate. error code 0xc004e003"

which, i discovered, means
    "Software licensing service reported that the license evaluation has failed"

Help?
    do i need to readd the cert?
    I have an asus mobo with dell slic and i installed the cert yesterday with the blacklisted lenovo key, do i need to reinstall it again or is it something else

2. steiner666

steiner666 MDL Novice

Jul 19, 2009
    Ok, so I guess it must have been the cert after all cause i reinstalled it an then i was able to activate w/o getting the error. Now it lists everythign as genuine.

The only problem i'm still having, and this could be unrelated i guess, is that i cant get Aero themes to work at all? They worked before all this mess, and now they dont...

3. tcntad

tcntad MDL Guru

Oct 26, 2009
    Why the hell are you using the blacklisten lenovo key? Change the key. More info in the Windows 7 repository:)

4. steiner666

steiner666 MDL Novice

Jul 19, 2009
    Argh, so I'm solving my own problems left and right today, and in record timing lol

it was a problem with Desktop Window Manager service. Everything peachy now