BIOS modding, what are the advantages?

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by Niekess, Feb 27, 2012.

1. Niekess

Niekess MDL Addicted

Mar 31, 2011
    Saw this section for a long time and kept looking sometimes out of interest.
    But now I want to know if BIOS modding is really giving an advantage, for example;
    Can your PC run faster/smoother because of it?

So kind of looking answer on this question:
    Why should I go mod my BIOS? :)

2. openfly

openfly MDL Member

Oct 18, 2009
    #2 openfly, Mar 2, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2012
    Depend on what you want to...

it is unlocked or update unsupported bios.

for example,
    it is expensive to buy original battery for sony vaio laptop, roughly $200 and rare on market.
    but oem remanufactured battery is less $100, but it won't work or recognise the sony vaio, caused official sony bios is locking to sony original battery.
    so the bios needs mods to unlocking or remove the battery code from bios to work on the oem remanufactured battery.

also, there are lots of reason to do.

3. MaDMaxiBo

MaDMaxiBo MDL Novice

Feb 28, 2012
    is

is it possible to make a fast bios that pass caunting devices ? :confused:

4. openfly

openfly MDL Member

Oct 18, 2009
    I don't think itself won't make faster on same machine by bios itself.

but if you want to change faster CPU or Memory, it should be worked on the chip platform or motherboard.
    sometimes, most of manufacture service team won't spend time to update the information or confirm to customer, because it is out of product !!!

want to add faster CPU which can be support the mainboard platform?
    it might add CPU micro code, memory, video bios update, something else, etc...

hope you understand my poor English.

5. MaDMaxiBo

MaDMaxiBo MDL Novice

Feb 28, 2012
    my english is not better :D thanks for the replay...

i dont want make pc faster... i want just bios screen pass faster...
    im usin an ssd, after windows boots, pc is fast enough. i want pc boot up faster...
    i saw on hp laptops, bios passed just no information about hardware... i want that on my desktop:D
    is it possible :D:D:D

6. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    @ MaDMaxiBo, the reason for bios mods on this forum is to add slic or slp for OEM:SLP activation.

7. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    Plus remove whitelist too.... ;)

8. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    Yes Tito you are correct :biggrin:, but I didn't want to get into discussion about bios mods to speed up windows booting :eek:

9. en4rab

en4rab MDL Novice

Oct 27, 2009
    If there is a setting in your BIOS called "Quick Power on Self Test" or similar enable this it turns of the printing of bios information to the screen, there might also be an option for delay for F2 (i forget its proper name) but basically its a short delay to alow you to press the key F2/DEL/ESC to enter bios setup, set this delay to 0 (you would have to hold the appropriate key if you wanted to get into setup when you boot after this).

10. MaDMaxiBo

MaDMaxiBo MDL Novice

Feb 28, 2012
    thanks... i did them enabled, set that 0 etc...
    but it is said that if i choose Quick boot (gigabyte award bios) it wont count the devices... thats bulls**t... im using pc for years and ive never seen a bios that doesnt count the devices on desktop...they are liar :ban: