BIOS modifications - clarifications needed for a noob!

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by VictorVictor5, Aug 21, 2014.

1. VictorVictor5

VictorVictor5 MDL Novice

Aug 21, 2014
    Greetings all,

I am very new at the concept of modifying the BIOS, so before I ask some specific questions, I'd like to ask general ones for my own knowledge/sanity :D!

Sorry if these are basic questions, but I want to understand this concept.

1.) Why mod the BIOS? Is this in order to increase processor speed, more RAM, etc?

2.) How can one modify the BIOS, or even find the files to modify?

3.) Are there some BIOS you cannot mod, or can they all be modded?

4.) Do you keep a copy of the current BIOS somewhere safe before modding? If so, where?

Thanks!
    VV5

2. VictorVictor5

VictorVictor5 MDL Novice

Aug 21, 2014
    Hello? Any help?

3. Flipp3r

Flipp3r MDL Expert

Feb 11, 2009
    You should do some reading 1st. Plenty of topics here.

1) Mod the bios for something specific. ie. change default from IDE to AHCI. Change logo. etc.
    If you have a gaming motherboard, you don't need to mod it to overclock. Just go in & change it manually. ie, Turn ON XMP for gaming memory..

2) You need to find the tool for the mod you want. ei, Changelogo can change the logo! (for UEFI).

3) Yes, some have security built in. Some boards you can bypass this through bios recovery feature. ie ASUS Flashback.

4) Since I flash from USB, all my bios/uefi files are on that key.

It's easy to kill your motherboard experimenting. If you don't need to mod then don't do it...

4. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    1.)
    A BIOS, especially its successor (U)EFI can be considered as pre operating system. Generally spoken one modifies it to fit it to personal needs, which can be:
    -to unlock hidden features to have more options to control
    -remove restrictions such as whitelists (a whitelist determines which hardware such as wlan adapter is allowed to run)
    -update internal optional controller ROMS called OPROMs
    -extend timing / voltage ranges to overclock. A BIOS of course cannot exceed hardware limits.
    -license the BIOS
    -modify splash screen

2.)
    It very depends on the kind of BIOS / EFI, but you find the tools here @MDL. The BIOSes themselves are provided at the manufacturer's site for updates. BIOSes have a modular structure which is different depending on the manufacturer, EFIs have a unified structure.

3.)
    Some such as Intel and HP have digitally signed sections. Means you can modify them, but they refuse to work if they detect that the signature isn't original anymore.

4.)
    BIOSes / EFIs are provided by the corresponding OEM for download. To get the original one can download it anytime again.
    But when I experiment with them I keep the original on my USB pen drive to re-flash if needed.

For further info I suggest to read at our BIOS forum. Before one dares to mod. I'd suggest to inform about recovery. A bad flash can render the PC useless.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. VictorVictor5

VictorVictor5 MDL Novice

Aug 21, 2014
    Thanks to both for the responses.

What I am trying to do is two things. Mod BIOS to a.) bypass an ACPI check for Win7 install, and b.) perhaps mod the BIOS to get rid of HDD limits (i.e. 8.4 GB and 137 GB).

Any suggestions on this endeavor?

Thanks!
    VV5