Bios Password Reset Help Request

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by Johny2k9, Mar 20, 2020.

1. Johny2k9

Johny2k9 MDL Novice

Mar 20, 2020
    #1 Johny2k9, Mar 20, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2020
  2. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    I don't think it helps but you said you removed the BIOS/CMOS battery and it didn't work.
    Try again and remove it for at least an hour, in some cases this has helped.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Johny2k9

Johny2k9 MDL Novice

Mar 20, 2020
    I've removed it for an entire night at one point (at least 8 hours). It reset the Bios date and time at best. All the basic things I believe I might have tried them all. I'm thinking this is one of the newer laptop setups where the CMOS battery only affects the bios time, the information may stored elsewhere

4. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    You are probably right. You could also try asking the manufacturer for help. Maybe they can recommend something at least, because it is really quite new and there is almost nothing on the internet to find about it. I can find only BIOS update download and in which computers it have been used.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Johny2k9

Johny2k9 MDL Novice

Mar 20, 2020
    Yeah, I've done this actually. I contacted them they said they could fix it, but it would require about a month due to shipping fixing and returning (no less than 15 days in their words)...

So honestly I would want to keep that as my last resort. The laptop is still under warranty as well, but they claim bios password resetting isn't covered and they can't give me a price range until after I ship it in.

A technician did tell me it's probably no less $150 US to reset the bios... If it was I could pay and get it fixed in a few days then sure. But this is a waiting game - I pay to ship it to the manufacturer, then they will tell me a price which I'll have to choose to accept (or I wasted my time), then more waiting for a fix and a return... So yeah, definitely my last option.

6. Sungjin.x64

Sungjin.x64 MDL Novice

Dec 14, 2018
    remove battery , unplug laptop, press power on

put back battery plug laptop try again is this help?

or u can use bios password reset tool

7. Johny2k9

Johny2k9 MDL Novice

Mar 20, 2020
    I've tried the above, it didn't work.

What tool do you recommend?

8. kan3

kan3 MDL Novice

Sep 28, 2010
    Sorry for the late reply, take it to a hardware shop and ask them to flash the bios (ROM) chip. You can do it yourself too if you happen to have EPROM programmer with SOIC8 clip

9. Johny2k9

Johny2k9 MDL Novice

Mar 20, 2020
    Is this relatively safe?