Bios recovery Acer Aspire 5 A515-51G

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by Flávio Amorim da Rocha, Apr 19, 2019.

1. Flávio Amorim da Rocha

Jan 31, 2019
    I ended up bricking my acer bios when trying to downgrade to a somewhat old version of bios. I had a black screen and nothing was working.

I tried to recover through the USB pendriver. I tried flashing the USB with the isflash.bin file. I also changed the file name to BIOS.bin, BIOS.fd, C5V01118.fd, C5V01118.bin, isflash.fd and a few others, but with no success.

I opened the bios with UEFItool and located the name as C5V01X64.fd, but it still did not work. I turn on the fn + esc button, the fan turns very fast, but it does not give a signal.

2. tqhoang

tqhoang MDL BIOS Modder

Apr 29, 2008
    Can you upload the BIOS.FD that you're trying to recover with?

3. Nada009

Nada009 MDL Novice

Aug 15, 2019
  4. tqhoang

tqhoang MDL BIOS Modder

Apr 29, 2008
    #13 tqhoang, Aug 23, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2019
    If you don't get a BIOS screen right now, then you have to do a BIOS recovery.
    • Get a small USB stick (2GB or less?) and format as FAT32 or even FAT16.
    • Extract the recovery BIOS.FD (from the archive in my post above) to the USB stick.
    • Plug the USB stick into the laptop (with power off).
    • Hold the FN+ESC key and power on the laptop (according to the steps mentioned by the OP).
    • The fans should kick on high and then it should reflash the BIOS with the BIOS.FD on the USB stick.
    • it should only take a 1-2 minutes, and then either power off or reboot itself.
    Good luck!

5. Nada009

Nada009 MDL Novice

Aug 15, 2019
    not work bro :( i tried a lot of bins or fd and nothing.
    i think copy and paste or extrac rar,zip files not working in this f**king stupid laptop i tried with two programs for flashing bios .bin files and nothing work.
    the usb will finish blank and you need to format for use .
    in laptop same the usb flashing with bin file not working.
    not working copy and paste all files for c501.exe extracted whit ishflash.bin and exe too. f**king trash really.
    bro what recomended for flashing bin files in my usb ? you are better in this.

6. tqhoang

tqhoang MDL BIOS Modder

Apr 29, 2008
    #15 tqhoang, Sep 2, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2019
    Unfortunately, it looks like you will have to buy a CH341A BIOS programmer and SOIC8 test clip. Then you'll have to find your BIOS chip on the motherboard and reflash it.

You should be able to use the BIOS.FD that I posted above to use with the programmer software.

7. jovi

jovi MDL Novice

Jan 24, 2010
    Hi,
    Most common problem with acer a515-51g is vbios bios update v1.21 that makes all laptop with nvdia mx150 lost the graphic card.

Acer said update to v2.02 will solve the problem as they hv include update of vbios with it. But still no mx150 graphic detected.

Maybe bios xperts here can help solve this problem

Thank in advance

8. st3ch

st3ch MDL Novice

Sep 26, 2015
    Thanks mate it helped and worked for me after a bad bios flash. I used the programmer as crisis mode did nothing.