BIOS settings for installing windows 10

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Geveral, Jun 21, 2017.

1. Geveral

Geveral MDL Novice

Jun 17, 2017
    Hello everyone.
    I'm gonna install win10 on a new build i'm about to get, problem is im a rookie in installing any os..
    I looked it up and found that some os, motherboards and other components may need some configurations in the BIOS, so as a person who doesn't want to mess up neither pay 300$(!) for someone to do that I need your help in finding what settings I may need to set to successfully install win10 pro on a ryzen build with a gigabyte ga-a320m-ds2 motherboard.
    Any help will be very appreciated!

2. GOD666

GOD666 MDL Expert

Aug 1, 2015
    You do not need to change your bios settings to install Windows. You will need to boot from the media you have the Windows setup files on, for example, your USB drive or DVD if you're using one. That may happen automatically when you have your media (USB or DVD) loaded, but if not, you may need to load your PC's boot menu and select the device you'd like to boot from manually. That will vary depending on your motherboard, but it should tell you how to access your PC's boot menu when you first turn on your PC (mine, for example, is F9).

3. Flipp3r

Flipp3r MDL Expert

Feb 11, 2009
    Just look for Windows 8/8.1/10 features & turn it on. Some boards are set to "other OS".
    This way the bios will boot in UEFI mode with the motherboard logo is centered & it won't use the crappy legacy wallpaper...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. shtrumf

shtrumf MDL Junior Member

Sep 20, 2009
    I just finished assembling a new PC,with a GigaByte motherboard also but i did it with a i5 Kaby Lake.Just as Flipp3r said boot into bios (press Del,after you hear the post beep) and navigate to the BIOS tab and look for :"Windows 8/10 Features" the default setting on my motherboard was "Other OS" and CSM was set to "Enabled".If you install win 10 this way the partition will be MBR style and not GPT.If you change "Windows 8/10 Features" to "Windows 8/10" and disable CSM(Compatibility Support Module) is Legacy Mode ,Win10 will install in GPT partition style.

5. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    And why would you want to install in UEFI/GPT? It's only needed for booting from systemdisks > 2TB or when you are planning to create more then 4 primary partitions on the disk.

6. RobertJ

RobertJ MDL Senior Member

Apr 4, 2014
    Granted, but still, what's the harm in using a modern partition table format? :confused:

7. Nongshim

Nongshim Guest

There is none, I don't see any reason not to use GPT/UEFI if your PC can use them.

8. Nongshim

Nongshim Guest

I mean I've never had an issue, may be different for others.

9. RobertJ

Apr 4, 2014
    Me neither, and it's high time we moved on from the restrictions of ancient BIOS and MBR.

10. s1ave77

s1ave77 Has left at his own request

Aug 15, 2012
    To use an ancient partitioning system due to vendors mostly only offering FAT32 drivers for UEFI boot, or alternatively integrate NTFS drivers for it (with i.e. Rufus) :cool2:. Indeed a big progress.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  11. RobertJ

Apr 4, 2014
    I can't tell whether you're blaming UEFI itself or vendors who provide limited/buggy implementations. The existence of the latter doesn't mean the UEFI standard itself is somehow worse than proprietary BIOSes (of which I've seen some truly terrible examples over the years).