Bios update for Asus M2N-NVM/S from a Packard Bell imedia 6400

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by Majestique, Oct 23, 2012.

1. Majestique

Majestique MDL Novice

Oct 23, 2012
    Hello, I need a Bios update for Asus M2N-NVM/S (``M2N-NVM/NEC/SI Green`` on the sticker) from a Packard Bell Imedia 6400 system in order to be able to use a dual core AMD Athlon 64x2 processor and an Ati Radeon HD5450 1gb ddr3 video card. I purchased this system because my old mainboard is broken and I want to upgrade it with the better components I have from the better one. Yet I wasn`t able to find any BIOS update on ASUS main site because it is a custom made mainboard special for Packard Bell, and Packard Bell have no support for it anymore. The dual core processor and video card don`t work with this current BIOS that it has.
    My current BIOS is M2N-NVM 0301
    Please if you have any BIOS update for it help me.

Regards,

Majestique

2. drewbug

drewbug MDL Member

Aug 15, 2010
  3. Majestique

Majestique MDL Novice

Oct 23, 2012
    Hi Drew,

Thank you very much for your help and for answering so quickly.

I flashed the new bios and everything works fine, it even works with my ati graphics card, which is a big plus for me. However with the Athlon 64x2 CPU, it just gets stuck at the Packard Bell intro screen where it says press F2 to enter Bios setup, and even if I press F2 nothing happens. I took out the bios battery, allowed the bios to reset, then I got once to the loading windows screen, where after like 30 seconds it restarted and got stuck in the Packard Bell screen again. Oh and the image that the onboard graphics card is very blurry while using the Athlon 64x2 CPU :(

Is there something I am doing wrong? The Athlon 64x2 CPU is one of the first version CPU`s, if I`m not wrong it is 3800+. I saw many newer version CPUs work with this mainboard.

Thank you again

4. drewbug

drewbug MDL Member

Aug 15, 2010
    Majestique,

I'm glad the new BIOS is (mostly) working for you!

I don't have much experience with CPU support upgrades, but I can give it a shot for you!

Can you get me the exact model of the CPU this board is having issues with?

5. Majestique

Majestique MDL Novice

Oct 23, 2012
    Hi again Drew,

I managed to get into windows with the dual core cpu 3 times. There I saw that my CPU is Athlon 64x2 4000+. During all these times I took out the battery on the mainboard for a few minutes and it took a few tries until I could use it. The first time I got to windows, it installed the driver for the cpu and it prompted to restart in order for it to take effect. I restarted and it got stuck again. During this time I noticed that it was only using 1.76 gb of my 3 gb ram memory. The second time it booted windows it was really slow and i noticed that it was only using a few mb of ram memory (300 or sth). The third time it booted it used 1.76 gb again, however after a minute or so I got a black screen and hat to shut it down, remove the graphics card and put it back in order to get an image. That`s when I gave up. Maybe my processor got broken together with the old mainboard? I don`t know :S
    About the blurry screen, I remember having it on my old mainboard as well while using the onboard video, so it`s clearly because of the dual core processor. I`m really confused so I will try buying a second hand processor and try it on since they aren`t really expensive. Maybe I`ll get the mainboard to work with it.
    But yeah I`m willing to try anything if you can get it to work with my current cpu.

Thanks again for all the help

6. drewbug

drewbug MDL Member

Aug 15, 2010
    #6 drewbug, Oct 25, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2012
    Majestique,

I have been working on your BIOS.

This is my first CPU mod. I hope that it will work. I have attached it. It also contains SLIC 2.1.

Please report back as soon as you can!

Thanks,
    ~Drew

7. Majestique

Majestique MDL Novice

Oct 23, 2012
    I flashed the bios you edited and the dual core cpu gets stuck at the packard bell screen. But now I have a bigger problem. Windows won`t boot with the old cpu either. I`m writing this response from my laptop. I will try to flash the previous bios again from dos using afudos. I hope it works...

8. Majestique

Majestique MDL Novice

Oct 23, 2012
    Ok, so this method didn`t work. How do I flash the previous bios without windows support since my PC keeps restarting whenever windows tries to open, even in safe mode?

9. Majestique

Majestique MDL Novice

Oct 23, 2012
    Ok, I was able to flash the previous version again. Thank you for trying anyway Drew. It is really kind of you to offer your time. I really apreciate it.

10. drewbug

drewbug MDL Member

Aug 15, 2010
    I'm just sorry it didn't work out. At least we got it to work with your graphics card o_O

11. bogdan109

bogdan109 MDL Novice

Dec 30, 2012
    Information!!

HY,I have a question:This update will remove packard bell logo?Will add other function?In this moment i have 0401 bios version.You can't modd bios with SLIC ?Thanks and sorry my bad english!!

12. oraziocristiandidio

oraziocristiandidio MDL Novice

Jul 30, 2013
    m2n-nvm bios 0501

i have bios 0501 . it's processor Athlon64 X2 6000+ black editio but, the bios don't recognize this, visualize display message " processor unknow" the pc work fine... how to do update bios for recognize my processor ?

sorry for my english language but im italian and don't speak english

13. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    So you want to remove the error message? You say your PC works fine anyway so why bother about?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  14. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    i think he needs cpu microcode update ?

15. bogdan109

bogdan109 MDL Novice

Dec 30, 2012
    Informations!

There any chance to modify 0501 to have all functions(as any bios from asus have)?I've upgraded to 0501 and pc work very good ,but i want to overclock processor and i dont have in bios any posibilities to do this.
    Thanks,
    Bogdan.

16. ogni846

ogni846 MDL Novice

Sep 4, 2019