Bios Update help

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by cavalierz2, Nov 2, 2012.

1. cavalierz2

cavalierz2 MDL Novice

Nov 2, 2012
    I am in desperate need of help, i just bought a pc EL1210-01e with a crappy 2650e CPU and want to upgrade.
    My motherboard is DA078L, And my current Bios version is R01-B0 i don't know what this version supports CPU wise. i found info on what the Board Supports. but the info i found is for an entire different Computer Model, but looks just like everything i have.

(wont let me post link)

So anyways i cant for the freaking life of me find a free way to upgrade my bios. in that little guide it shows bios Version DA78LD02, and i cant find that to download anywhere.

Also that site that you have to pay for that acer redirects you too says my current bios is out of date. but i dont know if its a trick to having me spend money or not, but either way i don't wanna spend money

So basically i need help with either finding out what processors are supported with my current bios version R01-B0.
    Or help me find the newest bios version for my board.
    So i can properly select my cpu upgrade.

Thanks for any help, this has been driving me nuts for days now

2. Suicyco

Suicyco MDL Novice

Aug 26, 2010
    It looks as if this motherboard was also used in some Acer Aspire models (eg X3300). So I would just try flashing an updated Acer BIOS. The latest BIOS rev. is P01.B3 from April 2011 and already supports hexa core CPUs. So I guess, a modern Athlon CPU should work - but of course, I won't give any guarantees. Regarding the cooling solution in your computer, I would only upgrade to some low power Athlons (Athlon II X2 240e etc.).
    The current BIOS can be downloaded here: goo.gl/jTBoL

3. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    #3 LatinMcG, Nov 2, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2012
    i have added slic to it before with a backup from awdflash or afudos..forgot which. (method to insert slic ISA mode i believe)
    however u need a cpu microcode check of bios.. not my specialty.

4. cavalierz2

cavalierz2 MDL Novice

Nov 2, 2012
    Thank you for the help but i cant get that link to work it just keeps timing out for me, any chance you could download it and reupload it somewhere for me? i would greatly appreciate it.

5. cavalierz2

cavalierz2 MDL Novice

Nov 2, 2012
    Ok i got it downloaded but when i run it it says

ERROR: Bios does not support AFU.

6. Suicyco

Suicyco MDL Novice

Aug 26, 2010
    Oh, I'm sorry, my fault. :wallbash: What I didn't see immediately, is that Acer seems to use different revisions of this motherboard while still calling it DA078L. The X3300 has an nVIDIA 9200 chipset and DDR3 memory, while your machine most likely will have an 8200 chipset and use DDR2 memory. Also, it seems that when updating their platform to the GeForce 9200, they also switched the BIOS supplier from Award to AMI. Your board will have an Award BIOS, so it's logical that the afudos utility from AMI complains.
    You could still force the update, if you feel like experimenting, but I wouldn't recommend it and therefore won't tell you how to do that. The possibility to completely brick the board will be quite high.
    With my new insight into the specifications of your system, I can only recommend looking for an oldschool Athlon X2 CPU (eg. 4450e), which you might only find used on ebay.

7. cavalierz2

cavalierz2 MDL Novice

Nov 2, 2012
    Thanks for the help i really appreciate it alot and i was looking at the 4850e that would work right?

8. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    if not afudos try awdflash.
    however the pc i fixed was intel cpu not amd.. i might be confusing with EL1200 not 1210

9. cavalierz2

cavalierz2 MDL Novice

Nov 2, 2012
    Ill check those out, if the 4850e will work i will buy it in a little bit i got it on my ebay watch list waiting for a confirmation

10. Suicyco

Suicyco MDL Novice

Aug 26, 2010
    Yes, the 4850e should work as well.