Bios update now First Setup loop

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by eaponte23, Oct 16, 2009.

1. eaponte23

eaponte23 MDL Member

Sep 29, 2008
    OK I saw a BIOS update for my laptop on HP's site and I decided to install it. Now I'm getting that Knight Riderish screen "Setup is preparing for first use" or something like that everytime I boot. It shows up after the initial Win7 bootscreen. The BIOS I updated has 2.1 in it so why am going thru this over and over again?

I checked activation status and I'm still genuine, even tried using 7 loader with the advanced options only again and rebooted and still I'm in the loop. Any ideas? I would hate to install yet again, I installed W7 yesterday lol... Thanks

2. Servi

Servi MDL Member

Aug 12, 2009
    You have a SLIC 2.1 BIOS and you are using a loader? :rolleyes:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. eaponte23

eaponte23 MDL Member

Sep 29, 2008
    If you ever used Daz' loader you know that "Advanced options" will just install one of the serials available and the cert... I pointed this out in my first post.

I'm not using any software mods to emulate Slic if thats what your thinking. I've always used Daz's loader even before I modded the bios a month or so ago. Just using it to save a few keystrokes...:rolleyes:

4. genuine555

genuine555 MDL Expert

Oct 3, 2009
    Don't know how to help you there bro.
    Maybe the best way is to do a clean install and then insert the SLPkey and cert again.

That way you'll probably get rid of any residual junk from old loaders & other polluting stuff.

If then you get the same screen again at every boot, then there could be something wrong with your win7 dvd. did you use an untouched iso or some modified, slipstreamed or raped iso-file you snatched somewhere ? :confused:
    If so, it could be your culprit. Always use an untouched iso. Same thing as with women. A virgin woman is pure of mind and won't give u a hard time when hooking up. Tramps give u nothing but pain and agony :D

5. eaponte23

eaponte23 MDL Member

Sep 29, 2008
    LMAO

Anyways, I did use an untouched bios when I installed W7 yesterday. I'm no programmer so I might be completely wrong but I'm thinking that maybe windows (HP cert) noticed a different bios and is now going through some steps during the boot up process. Hence the black "Setup is preparing for first use" screen after every boot?

Being that the cert must match slic maybe removing it and going back to unactivated state might fix things?

6. W0lfdale

W0lfdale MDL Junior Member

Aug 28, 2009
    Let me get this clear, are you able to logon to Windows normally at the end?

7. eaponte23

eaponte23 MDL Member

Sep 29, 2008
    Yes I'm able to log in.

8. W0lfdale

Aug 28, 2009
    Open the registry editor and jump to the following key:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Setup

then check the value SystemSetupInProgress, and make sure it's set to 0

9. eaponte23

eaponte23 MDL Member

Sep 29, 2008
    Yup it's set to 0

10. W0lfdale

Aug 28, 2009
    #10 W0lfdale, Oct 16, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    Go to the same key again, and make sure the values are the same as the following:
    Code:
    OsLoaderPath = \
    RestartSetup = 0
    SetupType = 0
    SystemSetupInProgress = 0
    SetupPhase = 0
    CmdLine = 
    OOBEInProgress = 0

11. eaponte23

eaponte23 MDL Member

Sep 29, 2008
    OsLoaderPath = \
    RestartSetup = 0
    SetupType = 2
    SystemSetupInProgress = 0
    SetupPhase = 4
    CmdLine = oobe\windeploy.exe
    OOBEInProgress = 1

Is what I have hmmm

12. genuine555

genuine555 MDL Expert

Oct 3, 2009
    #12 genuine555, Oct 16, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2009
    As stated by Busykid in the bios request thread :

"a modded bios most of the time only works for that particular pc"

I think u need to get a modded bios personally for your machine, if the above doens't help.
    Just request it in the bios request thread, u'll get the right instructions there.
    Probably u'll have to provide busykid or one of the other modders with a RWreport, using RWeverything. U will need to save the data containing ACPI tables, and post it or upload it for the modder. after that u will have a bios modified and suited for your and only your machine.

I also snatched a premodded bios from this forum for my custom built asus mobo machine, and guess what : trouble. it did flash, but win just wouldn't activate.
    After getting my personal mod, everything was pink.

13. eaponte23

eaponte23 MDL Member

Sep 29, 2008
    Thanks alot W0lfdale it w:prked! 1+

14. W0lfdale

Aug 28, 2009
    Most values are wrong for a finished setup.

Just change all the values to be the same as the ones I provided before, then reboot.

15. eaponte23

eaponte23 MDL Member

Sep 29, 2008
    The first modded bios I flashed was for this pc but trying my hands on the HP bios with slic 2.1 seemed to have messed up something. I double checked before downloading it. Same ID number and revision 3.5 Although the version went from F.3d to F 52.

Anyways I reflashed to the original bios i got from the request thread and edited registry and I'm back to normal. Thanks

16. eaponte23

eaponte23 MDL Member

Sep 29, 2008
    Thanks again. Any idea why flashing the BIOS caused this problem to arise?:confused:

17. W0lfdale

Aug 28, 2009
    It should have nothing to do with BIOS update.
    Have you flashed your BIOS from Windows (using flash utility)?

18. genuine555

genuine555 MDL Expert

Oct 3, 2009
    As u said : the first modded bios was personally for your pc, but the second probably wasn't. The RWreport u have to provide when requesting a modded bios does have it's purpose believe it or not. There can be differences in the tables per bios, and as tiny as these differences may be, they can do damage when modding. In my own experience, this is especially the case when dealing with notebooks/laptops.

glad it worked out for you in the end.
    every problem has it's solution hiding around the corner.
    no pain no gain ;)

19. eaponte23

eaponte23 MDL Member

Sep 29, 2008
    Yup I think it's called WinFlash

20. W0lfdale

Aug 28, 2009
    All I can think of is that this utility changed those registry values to trigger the OOBE (ou-of-box-experience) on next boot (something like SysPrep) to reinitialize/update OEM settings but something wrong went at the end of this phase (maybe forced reboot, power failure) that didn't allow reverting these values to normal to reflect OOBE phase completion.